NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 63 - I guess I'll play grown up

Finch
    Finch

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 63 - I guess I'll play grown up - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 63 - I guess I'll play grown up

Post by Finch Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:00 am

Regarding Plath, I think people saying "I knew I shouldn't of traded Plath out/Why did I trade Plath out/Trading Plath out has been my worst decision this year" and just seeing recent bias.

I traded him out so did others. He had two weeks at Hooker, scored 35, then 32. There was no reason to keep him when he was scoring like that and the information we had at the time, trading him out was the best move.

None of us can see the future (Obviously), well I don't think any of us can...
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 63 - I guess I'll play grown up - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 63 - I guess I'll play grown up

Post by Milchcow Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:11 am

Finch wrote:Regarding Plath, I think people saying "I knew I shouldn't of traded Plath out/Why did I trade Plath out/Trading Plath out has been my worst decision this year" and just seeing recent bias.

I traded him out so did others. He had two weeks at Hooker, scored 35, then 32. There was no reason to keep him when he was scoring like that and the information we had at the time, trading him out was the best move.

If you trade someone out because of 2 bad scores, you can not get upset if they then go back to scoring how they did the 10 games prior to that.

Sometimes it's correct to ditch someone after a couple of did weeks, but most of the time they revert to normal scoring

I'm general, people should hold trades a lot more than they do.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:14 am

RandomSil wrote:With minimal to no trades. Four rounds to go.

What is everyone's rank at the moment, and goal for end of year.

I'm rank 3336 at the moment and want to try and break into the top 2500 although the last 3 weeks have only moved 300 odd spots. Hoping having two trades and injury free team currently (touch wood) that I can continue to move up steadily.

Would like to beat last year rank but that’s very ambitious at this stage

Was also hoping to win autofill and finish top 1000 in that again, but that is out of reach now
    kamikamicameleons
    kamikamicameleons

Post by kamikamicameleons Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:18 am

I'm rank 3336 at the moment and want to try and break into the top 2500 although the last 3 weeks have only moved 300 odd spots. Hoping having two trades and injury free team currently (touch wood) that I can continue to move up steadily.

2,335. Goal at the start of the year was top 10,000 so that's well and truly achieved. Would now like to get top 2,000 if I can, but more than that I want to win both my H2H leagues after getting the minor premiership in both
    BCT05
    BCT05

Post by BCT05 Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:21 am

Finch wrote:Regarding Plath, I think people saying "I knew I shouldn't of traded Plath out/Why did I trade Plath out/Trading Plath out has been my worst decision this year" and just seeing recent bias.

There's a bit more to it than that - two games is a very small sample size and he'd only just moved into a new position so there was reason to think he could improve as he settled into playing there. He was basically not running the ball at all in those first two games likely just trying to do the basics right, so there was scope for uptick.

Now of course going on to average 70 after that is outrageous.
    kamikamicameleons
    kamikamicameleons

Post by kamikamicameleons Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:27 am

Yeah fair point. For the most part I've held through bad patches successfully, but something about Plath at hooker just didn't feel right. Trading a green dot that goes on to play really well is the worst feeling in fantasy. But I'll learn from it for next season, hopefully
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:28 am

Milchcow wrote:

If you trade someone out because of 2 bad scores,  you can not get upset if they then go back to scoring how they did the 10 games prior to that.

Sometimes it's correct to ditch someone after a couple of did weeks, but most of the time they revert to normal scoring

I'm general,  people should hold trades a lot more than they do.

I held Plath but disagree with this to an extent.

It was 2 bad scores due to a new position. Some people might have expected some level of bounce back but getting back to his MID average and into the HOK scoring levels of Grant,Cook, Mahoney was at the extreme end of range of outcomes. nature of the game is you often can’t wait 4,5,6 games to see which way the coin lands

Can see why he was a sell

Another timeline it’s the obvious move in hindsight and a minority bemoan having a 530k emergency player they can’t upgrade with limited trades
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:33 am

kamikamicameleons wrote:

Yeah fair point. For the most part I've held through bad patches successfully, but something about Plath at hooker just didn't feel right. Trading a green dot that goes on to play really well is the worst feeling in fantasy. But I'll learn from it for next season, hopefully

I mean what will you learn though?

Next guy that has a positional change and scores worse there continues to score worse there. You hold because Plath. Will probably be told the signs were there to jump off because of the role change as he’s now dropped 200k

It’s all easy in hindsight
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:39 am

127 atm, dropped out of the top 100 this week. Would love to improve my best ever finish of 78, and it would be nice to at least top the Eels league.

2 trades left
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:13 am

robelgordo wrote:

I held Plath but disagree with this to an extent.

It was 2 bad scores due to a new position. Some people might have expected some level of bounce back but getting back to his MID average and into the HOK scoring levels of Grant,Cook, Mahoney was at the extreme end of range of outcomes. nature of the game is you often can’t wait 4,5,6 games to see which way the coin lands

Can see why he was a sell

Another timeline it’s the obvious move in hindsight and a minority bemoan having a 530k emergency player they can’t upgrade with limited trades

i posted at the time* that it seemed pretty obvious he was pacing himself in those first two games (well, i'd only seen the first of the two, lol). but we've all seen him play this year, he's tenacious and loves to get involved. he was warming into the position. to turn into a 30's player as an 80 min hooker seemed like the most unlikely scenario.

*cocky hindsight crow

re 'what can you learn'.. probably not much, the next player that comes along will be different. but plath was an eye test pick from the start. i don't think there was a lot to change opinion of him because of two low scores.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:19 am

my tv broke wrote:Curious to know how i went against SI in the eliminator but alas the app is fucking useless, so we wait ..

The senior coder has been defeated!
    kamikamicameleons
    kamikamicameleons

Post by kamikamicameleons Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:25 am

robelgordo wrote:

I mean what will you learn though?

Next guy that has a positional change and scores worse there continues to score worse there. You hold because Plath. Will probably be told the signs were there to jump off because of the role change as he’s now dropped 200k

It’s all easy in hindsight

Yeah I don't really know what I'll learn, except never trade Galvin.

Edit:
    The things I have learned this year.
    • Don't have or hold too many origin players through the origin
    • Don't have too many injury prone players
    • Roosters forwards - never (except Angus)
    • Past spuds don't often unspud. Looking at you Joey Lussick
    • Don't buy players at their peak

Probably mostly obvious, but things I didn't know in my first season last year

Last edited by kamikamicameleons on Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
    ShadowSabre
    ShadowSabre

Post by ShadowSabre Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:40 am

Plath outcome (thankfully never considered trading due to numerous other fires) has me weary of getting Koloamatangi this week.

Need to see if it was a one off before making any knee jerks on him too
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:22 am

Just on the Plath trade out, context is everything. My instinct was to hold Plath but I made a number of trades that week to 'upgrade' my team. The primary trade was to bring in Cleary and the choice came down to holding Weekes or holding Plath.

My gut was telling me to hold Plath (pretty sure I even said it on here) but I had plenty of MID/HLF cover and sweet fuck all WFB cover I could rely on with Garrick out the next round. I thought it would be more productive to be able to loop Weekes and Gray rather than just play Gray.

It wasn't, Plath went well and I was wrong. The trade had not much to do with Plath's bad scores (i.e. I've held Nikora through a worse run for a reasonable average) and a lot to do with trying to achieve 'balanced team coverage'. As it turned out, holding him would have been the best option.

@Finch is right, sometimes you make a call for the right reasons and it just doesn't work out.

@milchcow is right too, people spunk too many trades on reactive trades when the norm is usually the players average.

Swapped Weekes to Ponga the last round incidentally
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:01 am

After the second week of 30's from Plath, I was tempted to flick him, but my gut was telling me not to.  I also wrote the first game at hooker for 35 points off as a new position and as MTB said, he was pacing himself in the role and I guess feeling things out.  The one thing that made me hold was the second game he missed 8 tackles which was a tad above his usual looking at the stats.  So, if he halved that, he scores around 44.  That was enough for me to hold.  can't remember who I traded out but there were a couple I felt were higher priority.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:05 am

Scored 887 this week and gained a couple of ranks sitting at 513. Goal would be to hopefully sneak and finish inside the top 500 but being inside the top 1000 would be fine. Means 5 years running inside the top 1000 which is solid. Can't recall rankings before that and never took notes back then. 4 trades so will need to be smart with them or hold and bank on some carnage in the last round.

Although, Drinkwater to Ponga will tempt me.........
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:09 am

On Plath...

I kept him because
    A: I was low on trades
    2: I thought it was only a temporary position switch
    III: I was low on trades
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:13 am

Looking forward to have Teddy & Angus back this week, which means less spuds in the 17
    No Broncos this week, 21 green dots likely, no loops
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:28 am

wolfking wrote:Scored 887 this week and gained a couple of ranks sitting at 513.

we seem to be following the same scores/ranks every week.

879 rank 561 for me haha
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:01 am

Chewie wrote:On Plath...

I kept him because
    A: I was low on trades
    2: I thought it was only a temporary position switch
    III: I was low on trades
    Can’t trust this logic given you’ve used 3 different numbering systems for your dot points

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:32 pm