NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 54 - Will the real Jake Sully please stand up

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 54 - Will the real Jake Sully please stand up - Page 48 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 54 - Will the real Jake Sully please stand up

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:21 am

Yeah, the whole origin experience over the last couple of years hasn't helped.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 54 - Will the real Jake Sully please stand up - Page 48 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 54 - Will the real Jake Sully please stand up

Post by easytiger Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:30 am

wolfking wrote:Grant will be one of my main targets come round 20/21.

My concerns with Grant are that I don't really feel Munster returning had much affect on his scoring at all.

He's had plenty of opportunity to score well over the opening period, but nevertheless has a 50 average,  which is fine, but not exactly essential (there are a handful of comparable scorers at hooker).

3 day turnaround after Origin 3, every chance he gets another rest.
    Melbourne currently clear first, it's hard to not see them lock up a top 4 spot, so a strong chance he gets a further rest late season.

The Garlick/Wishart playing first 20, Harry off the bench load management thing. Bellamy did it end of last year, has already done it once this year.

To me it's quite conceivable that he misses 3 more games after this week (one a bye of course), and is a late 40's early 50's scorer anyway. I'd quite happily trade, but his low price makes it less beneficial for sure

Last edited by easytiger on Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    OB
    OB

Post by OB Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:31 am

Kinda crazy to me that people are so keen in writing off Nicho after a couple of games of 50s scores. He is still the highest averaging player. He is far and away the best scoring Half this year. The recency bias is strong with this one.

As for Grant - you'd be kind of crazy to punt him now. If this were the stock market you would be one of the chumps making others rich if you sell. If you miss the stop loss level, best to hold on and ride back up. Losses are only tangible if you sell.
    whall15
    whall15

Post by whall15 Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:32 am

easytiger wrote:

I think people are pretty harsh about Nicho Hynes.
    He hasn't even played 100 NRL games yet, and has only played 50 odd at halfback.

As a point of comparison; Mitch Moses is well north of 200 games and really had only come into his own in the last 3? years

It's actually pretty impressive that he's managed to press for higher honors with so few first grade games at halfback.
    No doubt he still has some learnings and growth ahead of him, but going very well by most measures I would've thought

He's 28 though
    Loomer
    Loomer
    Fanatic

Post by Loomer Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:36 am

Edwards rested means I'm down to 14 without trading. I think I have to sell Edwards
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:37 am

Welshy wrote:

Oooooffff Cookie be coming for you now lad!
    Getting a bit nervous with Cookie making a charge in L3, he could well make the top 8 with his game changing trades this week affraid
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:39 am

To be fair, when it came to the Origin side, he's really been fucked over. Even though he wasn't great in game 1, I would have loved to see what Cleary or Moses would have done instead. Something as simple as one of Cleary or Moses being fit would have kept Nicho out of the whole Origin thing this year and things for me may be different, the pressure of selection due to the others injured has also got him a couple of weeks out. Saying that, if Nicho was the half the other night, might not have been as clutch as Moses but I think still would have dominated enough to have a respectable game.

In hindsight, he needed to not be near the Origin arena this year as there were signs in that lead up with that Panthers game especially. We know he's an advocate for mental health so he's definitely affected so, he's been up against it if you ask me. But as ET said, he's reached a status pretty early than most in his career so he's obviously struggling with that. Needs to just focus on the Sharks and his game. I'm as tough as anyone in saying if they play this sport it's brutal and cut throat and you need to toughen up sometimes, but still, everyone has their limits.

When I was trading him in, I did wonder if he would be able to respond in a positive way or if he would regress. Can't imagine how he would have felt watching that NSW win the other night. Gotta feel for him.

Out for a jog this morning and was thinking about it, even though Trindall has been doing more kicking, I think him being more in control again was possibly the game plan just to take that pressure off Nicho for a week? Hopefully. Coach probably just wanted him to relax into the game and inject himself where he can. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't or maybe I'm clutching and he's no longer a dominant playmaker. But they lost and he's the money player so on the other edge of the coin, he needs to turn it around or else maybe he's in the wrong field?

But in relation to fantasy, it's funny, if he scored 49 after updates, I'd be livid, a 53 I am actually content with despite the price drops in the coming weeks. He'll come good. Coach has got some work to do with him though to get him back there again.
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:55 am

wolfking wrote:To be fair, when it came to the Origin side, he's really been fucked over.   Even though he wasn't great in game 1, I would have loved to see what Cleary or Moses would have done instead.  Something as simple as one of Cleary or Moses being fit would have kept Nicho out of the whole Origin thing this year and things for me may be different, the pressure of selection due to the others injured has also got him a couple of weeks out.  Saying that, if Nicho was the half the other night, might not have been as clutch as Moses but I think still would have dominated enough to have a respectable game.

In hindsight, he needed to not be near the Origin arena this year as there were signs in that lead up with that Panthers game especially.  We know he's an advocate for mental health so he's definitely affected so, he's been up against it if you ask me.  But as ET said, he's reached a status pretty early than most in his career so he's obviously struggling with that.  Needs to just focus on the Sharks and his game.  I'm as tough as anyone in saying if they play this sport it's brutal and cut throat and you need to toughen up sometimes, but still, everyone has their limits.

When I was trading him in, I did wonder if he would be able to respond in a positive way or if he would regress.  Can't imagine how he would have felt watching that NSW win the other night.  Gotta feel for him.  

Out for a jog this morning and was thinking about it, even though Trindall has been doing more kicking, I think him being more in control again was possibly the game plan just to take that pressure off Nicho for a week?  Hopefully.  Coach probably just wanted him to relax into the game and inject himself where he can.  Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't or maybe I'm clutching and he's no longer a dominant playmaker.  But they lost and he's the money player so on the other edge of the coin, he needs to turn it around or else maybe he's in the wrong field?

But in relation to fantasy, it's funny, if he scored 49 after updates, I'd be livid, a 53 I am actually content with despite the price drops in the coming weeks.  He'll come good.  Coach has got some work to do with him though to get him back there again.
    Cleary has proven he can single handedly turn around a big game that would be considered lost for any other player. Last year's grand final is the perfect example. Everyone thought the game was over, then Cleary stepped up with a master class. Would definitely have given NSW a better chance than Hynes did in game 1.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:01 am

Khany wrote:Reckon Nicho's issues are btw the ears, not so much physical.

Gotta be a lot of that. But there was a shot of him straight after HT back on the field and he looked really pale and had bloodshot eyes.

Last edited by standard-issue on Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Finch
    Finch

Post by Finch Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:02 am

Last two games Trindall has almost 300 more km than Hynes, again over the two games.

Hynes = 1663 first 4 rounds

Trindall = 769 first 4 rounds

Rounds 6 & 7

Hynes = 613

Trindall = 596

So while the first four rounds massively favour Hynes, as the season has gone on Trindall is getting more and more.
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:05 am

OB wrote:Kinda crazy to me that people are so keen in writing off Nicho after a couple of games of 50s scores. He is still the highest averaging player. He is far and away the best scoring Half this year. The recency bias is strong with this one.

As for Grant - you'd be kind of crazy to punt him now. If this were the stock market you would be one of the chumps making others rich if you sell. If you miss the stop loss level, best to hold on and ride back up. Losses are only tangible if you sell.

The stock market analogy is half fair - buying high and low is a key part of Fantasy strategy, but stocks are in play every week and you don't get paid dividends for every week you own them.
    Players you essentially get dividends (as points) only when they play, the less they play the less points you earn.

So as it stands the Storm have 10 games left. Harry misses this one. I'm tipping large scale resting for R26 or 27, so that's imo another, and 50-50 on R20.
    So possibly plays 7 or 8 out of 10 remaining.
    But then I also think he plays 60 minutes in 2 or 3 of those, so to me, he's got potentially only 5 games as an 80-minute Hooker - is that worth me playing a man short this week?, maybe not.

There's truth in that selling now is like selling at a floor, but it also might be that it's actually just selling at his points value going forward.
    Not hugely different to buying Aitken the last few weeks at likely a ceiling price - sometimes in fantasy we just have to take the value hit for the sake of overall points
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:09 am

mattnz wrote:
    Cleary has proven he can single handedly turn around a big game that would be considered lost for any other player. Last year's grand final is the perfect example. Everyone thought the game was over, then Cleary stepped up with a master class. Would definitely have given NSW a better chance than Hynes did in game 1.

Moses is the encumbant now... Cleary will just have to wait his turn cheer
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:09 am

mattnz wrote:

I think this is it.
    Cleary has set a bench mark that others are held to, and in reality, there aren't many capable of matching that (maybe only DCE?)

I think if Moses was able to play Origin 1, the result is the same (quite probably the same result even if Cleary were there tbh).
    I do think Moses is more Origin ready though. Had Hynes played Origin 2, you'd imagine it was enough of a team effort that the Blues still win, but probably a closer score line?
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:11 am

whall15 wrote:

He's 28 though

Are you suggesting that because he failed to crack first-grade earlier, that it should be some sort of advantage?
    Being older is great in terms of more maturity and you probably learn/settle quicker, but I wouldn't say age is a like for like substitute for experience, and Hynes almost certainly becomes a better half over the next few years and nails more clutch situations.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:13 am

easytiger wrote:

I think this is it.
    Cleary has set a bench mark that others are held to, and in reality, there aren't many capable of matching that (maybe only DCE?)

I think if Moses was able to play Origin 1, the result is the same (quite probably the same result even if Cleary were there tbh).
    I do think Moses is more Origin ready though. Had Hynes played Origin 2, you'd imagine it was enough of a team effort that the Blues still win, but probably a closer score line?

Moses plays Origin 1 ==> Series is already won sunny
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:15 am

mattnz wrote:

I'm not disputing that, or saying Hynes is as big a game player like Cleary, because he isn't, nowhere near it. When I wrote the line 'I would have loved to see what Cleary or Moses would have done instead', I know it comes across like they wouldn't have done any better than Hynes, but I don't believe that, even though it came across that way.

Saying all that, we're still yet to still Cleary be as consistently dominant in the Origin arena, but nevertheless, all that wasn't really the reason for my post. I'm not putting Hynes on Cleary's level, I just think he's been a bit hard done by with the specifics behind his time in that area of the game. Mental health is paramount and a part of Hynes' struggles, but I reiterate, it's a tough cutthroat game, you need to be able to take it, or maybe get out.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:16 am

easytiger wrote:

I think this is it.

This was my point too.
    Loomer
    Loomer
    Fanatic

Post by Loomer Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:22 am

Yesterday posted that I hoped my PODs would score well this week. Lucas Edwards Tago and SWalker. Soon after Lucas ruled out and now Edwards rested. Brutal. Down to 14 after 1 trade
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:28 am

Hey @mattnz Is the reason you have joined my thematic avatar is because the collective noun for a group of dolphins is a POD

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:28 am

This rd 19 WFB situation isn't going away

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:23 am