NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 42 - Tofu Haggis

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 42 - Tofu Haggis - Page 10 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 42 - Tofu Haggis

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2022 12:04 am

danseels1985 wrote:Is trading in Meaney a bad idea if Hynes and Coates are my other WFBs? Aim higher with Turbo or Teddy?

Like the above, depends on what you do with the other cash and the team balance
    Meaney might be good if it allows you to upgrade another 300-400k player into a more playable option
    Ie Papy frees up and get you say Meaney+Elliott with potential to make some quick cash and points until rd 14, and pushes a weaker player out of the scoring week to week

Then swap them to stable rd17 players or perhaps your guns like TTrbo/Teddy etc and hold on for the ride home

The game is all calculated gambles, just depends on how much you want to risk
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 42 - Tofu Haggis - Page 10 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 42 - Tofu Haggis

Post by White Lightning Wed May 11, 2022 12:08 am

Teeth Eater wrote:Sorry doods, I don't believe one can search for three letter words so I can't search back too far, but out of curiosity, no one interested in Hoy? 1. playing for a troubled team and 2. could lose his spot next week to Clifford and 3. no Clune last week, who undoubtedly eats into his scoring more than Crossland would?  

Not saying I'm interested myself, just noticed his name as I was seeing who I could afford as a swap for Schneider. Scored 24, 49 and 46 in his three starts this year. 46 last week at five eighth not a bad effort, but way too many causes for concern, though.

I can't see myself buying any Knights players but am definitely going to sell them.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Wed May 11, 2022 12:09 am

Looks like Demetriou actually broke Murray then!

Surgery and definitely missing origin 1!

What a cat
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed May 11, 2022 12:10 am

Boozecluez wrote:Squad value update this week is 13.32m plus 32k banked if people were curious

Still potential for some slow burn earning but most are drying up now so less worried about making cash.
    Can afford to hold some players losing a little but I am finally in a luxury of not having to risk short term potential dodgy cash outs.

If people have been curious what I have been doing
    The first few weeks I fixed the team to get it stable and with the right cows/players with potential
    These early fixes helped build my cash reserve and took a while to start seeing the earlier sacrifices/benefit (Ie not chasing the top tier guns for the instant fix)
    The past few weeks I have been focusing more on getting the cash into the playing 17 to maximise the potential points rather than having too much tied up in NPR's
    So it meant having to offload a couple players I could have possibly held but their cash allowed big upgrades and more stable points elsewhere

Also made sure I avoided too many risks on the 13-17 bench (Ie having to play risky backs or players with questionable minutes/role) so made this my POD and you could say this has been paying off
    Last week my bench scored 266 points so similar to the hooker year, it does a lot of the heavy lifting at the expense of spreading the cash a little thinner and missing a gun or 2

Next stage is timing the final cow trades from rd13 bye into rd14 for the run home and last bye

Though I have just mostly gone with gut trades, players I like to watch and a rough game plan and stuck to it
    Trying to keep things fresh and perhaps give things or old strategies a shake

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 42 - Tofu Haggis - Page 10 Graph10

It's a pretty good example of how to play the game every year. Fix the team, get the cash cows. Patience. Once you've got the cash going, try to save trades and then get some of that cash into the 17. One thing you mentioned was "cows/players with potential". May is a good case study here. I didn't get him, always sceptical of unproven non-base price wingers with iffy JS. But at the very start of the season, low BE, best team in the comp, getting it wrong really only costs you a trade, getting lucky puts you in the driver's seat, it was a good punt.

I'm going okay obviously, but I'm going to need some extra cash generation and a bit of luck. Trades will be made with that in mind.
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Wed May 11, 2022 12:14 am

Loomer wrote:

Have both. Could get JJ instead of Cook this week and have money for 400k odd player to Tohu next week. What you think. Cook keeper and seems like great C pick this week

Like the second option. Think Cook struggles a little without Murray quick PTBs
    the_great_wobbler
    the_great_wobbler

Post by the_great_wobbler Wed May 11, 2022 12:20 am

Last two weeks I've had solid trades lined up as my first thoughts of the week only to overthink it and end up bottling it by bringing in Cheese two weeks ago instead of Hastings and Taas last week instead of Elliot. This week initial thoughts are to just go Pap/Billy Smith for Burton and Elliot so I'll probably do something different and fuck it up again.

Gives me

Grant
    Mking, Lolo, Cheese
    Luki, Elliot
    Cleary, Hastings
    Tago, Burton
    Teddy, Hynes, May

Randall, Nanai, Tuilagi, Scritta
    Taas, Schneider, Koula, Thompson +375k

May end up ditching Taas instead of Billy though for the better loop depends if there are any changes before Friday.

Next week spend the kitty on an upgrade, hopefully Tohu if he goes alright. Maybe Mahoney or TPJ.

Meaney is interesting but chance he only gets 3 games, doesn't feel worth the risk to me.

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2022 12:25 am

Something else to leave you with for the night
    You can almost look at this game as an engine building game

If you have ever played the board/video games over the years where you build up over time towers/troops/bases etc it is kinda similar

It might be a civ game where you can research early or build facilities vs rushing out the best troop but later on they get taken over by more advanced. You hope that you are far enough in front that they gamble and left it too late

You can play short term (ie 'rush' or the example is trade sideways here, or paying top dollar for a keeper early) vs ('ramp' by playing the longer game sacrificing points for possible growth)
    Its a balance and go too hard either way and the whole thing can derail so trades are the currency

Seeing the ramp on the graph kinda reminded me of those
    For people who have no idea bout this

TLDR: Short,fast give it a cheeky slap and hold on for a quick finish vs Long,slow and if you aren't finished yet then lay off the beers perhaps
    Ramitinmyhaaas
    Ramitinmyhaaas

Post by Ramitinmyhaaas Wed May 11, 2022 12:35 am

This is the only week I'll probs be able to afford McInnes in a straight swap trade, usually wouldn't take risks like this but surely McInnes is Cronulla's big minute lock, particularly with his defensive abilities and having Fitzy as coach who is has always been a defensive coach. This is for my h2h team, what do you lads think? Is a fairly big risk if he doesn't actually start, but if the late switch happens and they continue to win it could be a huge play getting him this cheap.

So confused with the Sharks teamlist that was named today though, like why is there that many changes to a side that got a huge win (albeit against the Warriors but with 12 men). Surely there might be some late changes like last week no?

Other issue is I'm not really liking anyone in that pricerange of max 628k...
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 am

Boozecluez wrote:

Like the above, depends on what you do with the other cash and the team balance
    Meaney might be good if it allows you to upgrade another 300-400k player into a more playable option
    Ie Papy frees up and get you say Meaney+Elliott with potential to make some quick cash and points until rd 14, and pushes a weaker player out of the scoring week to week

Then swap them to stable rd17 players or perhaps your guns like TTrbo/Teddy etc and hold on for the ride home

The game is all calculated gambles, just depends on how much you want to risk

What are your thoughts on To'o given this?

I was initially on Meaney but think To'o is a better bet - only ~95k more and is much more likely to be a keeper given that Meaney only has a limited timeframe at FB.

To'o does play Origin but that doesn't matter here since Meaney doesn't play round 13 either and Papy will likely be back by round 17 anyway. To'o is also pretty likely to back up given that the Panthers have both their R14 and R18 games on the Sunday.

Looking at To'o's stats from last year, he is still a keeper even under new scoring (59 average last year becomes 53 with new scoring), and isn't affected as much as other WFBs by the rule changes as he always had a high base.

My other option is to go Burton and run the gauntlet with both May and Koula at WFB alongside Hynes with no cover (and then try to trade Schneider to a WFB in the ~450k range next week)

Last edited by Bethany_B on Wed May 11, 2022 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ramitinmyhaaas
    Ramitinmyhaaas

Post by Ramitinmyhaaas Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 am

Confirmed Murray is undergoing a 'minor' surgery:

Cameron Murray will undergo surgery on his shoulder/neck injury & will definitely miss State of Origin 1. Sounding like relatively “minor” surgery with hope he is back in around 4 weeks, with indication there is hope he will be fit for Origin 2

Via NP

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 am

Mulvy wrote:

It's a pretty good example of how to play the game every year. Fix the team, get the cash cows. Patience. Once you've got the cash going, try to save trades and then get some of that cash into the 17. One thing you mentioned was "cows/players with potential". May is a good case study here. I didn't get him, always sceptical of unproven non-base price wingers with iffy JS. But at the very start of the season, low BE, best team in the comp, getting it wrong really only costs you a trade, getting lucky puts you in the driver's seat, it was a good punt.

I'm going okay obviously, but I'm going to need some extra cash generation and a bit of luck. Trades will be made with that in mind.

The difference with May was he reminded me of To'o and alot of the good teams use these players for RM early in the tackle set
    So realised they probably were going to copy paste the game plan

It's hard but being conservative with trades early often meant it was hard to make gains and I wasn't going to take huge gambles
    That and starting with captain Mahoney,DFifita,AFB,Taumalolo you got to try something

If anything I did the opposite of risk and went safe middle players with upside to see how that worked this year and hopefully dodge most
    of those 20scores that you can get 2-3 off or a bench full of failed guns
    Sure the gun scores a 70 but those little ones add up quick overall
    Easy enough to trade down and grab one if it came to it, but paying a little more this year for the next tier has been gold

Anyways its only round 10 but sharing now for shits and giggles end of the year
    It will be interesting regardless of what happens

White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Wed May 11, 2022 12:38 am

Who would you play (a) Starling or (b) Ilias

Here is my team:
    Randall
    Haas, Taumalolo, Tapine
    TPJ, Fermor
    Cleary (c), Burton
    Tago, Penisini
    Hynes, May, S, Crichton

Starling, Cotter, M. King, A. Elliott
    Ilias, Leo Thompson, Billy Smith, Rushton

Thanks.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed May 11, 2022 12:49 am

Boozecluez wrote:

The difference with May was he reminded me of To'o and alot of the good teams use these players for RM early in the tackle set
    So realised they probably were going to copy paste the game plan

It's hard but being conservative with trades early often meant it was hard to make gains and I wasn't going to take huge gambles
    That and starting with captain Mahoney,DFifita,AFB,Taumalolo you got to try something

If anything I did the opposite of risk and went safe middle players with upside to see how that worked this year and hopefully dodge most
    of those 20scores that you can get 2-3 off or a bench full of failed guns
    Sure the gun scores a 70 but those little ones add up quick overall
    Easy enough to trade down and grab one if it came to it, but paying a little more this year for the next tier has been gold

Anyways its only round 10 but sharing now for shits and giggles end of the year
    It will be interesting regardless of what happens

You're in a good position. I think you'll do well. Definitely seems a year where middies with upside make the money. Our starts couldn't be different. I nailed the guns and original cashies and waited patiently for the cows that never came. Then picked Taaffe Vomit It shows what I've always thought, that how you trade during a season is infinitely more important than your starting squad.

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2022 12:54 am

Bethany_B wrote:

I was initially on Meaney but think To'o is a better bet - only ~95k more and is much more likely to be a keeper given that Meaney only has a limited timeframe at FB.

To'o does play Origin but that doesn't matter here since Meaney doesn't play round 13 either and Papy will likely be back by round 17 anyway. To'o is also pretty likely to back up given that the Panthers have both their R14 and R18 games on the Sunday.

Looking at To'o's stats from last year, he is still a keeper even under new scoring (59 average last year becomes 53 with new scoring), and isn't affected as much as other WFBs by the rule changes as he always had a high base.

To me my instant top WFB set without looking at any stats and assuming fit are TTrbo,Tedesco,Papy and now Hynes
    I think there will be a few others that could get close but these can reliably smash out banners weeks in a row and they happen to be all WFB
    These players scare you as a non owner and there are few others in the game like this
    Throw in how volatile a position this is with scoring (Floor) and these players are all their main guy so scoring revolves around them and it's a no brainer

Though byes, players get rested and depending on the rest of the team makeup I wouldn't sacrifice hard at the expense of elsewhere to get them
    For me they are a luxury now, look at your overall 1-17 and see where you can get the most gains
    If WFB is where it is then might as well get the best and enjoy the game
    To'o could go well but will you be tempted to use another trade if he scores average for a few weeks and one of the big 4 you don't have goes huge?

rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed May 11, 2022 12:54 am

Bethany_B wrote:

My other option is to go Burton and run the gauntlet with both May and Koula at WFB alongside Hynes with no cover (and then try to trade Schneider to a WFB in the ~450k range next week)

You're obviously trying to talk yourself into To'o, so just go for it.

Although if you're insistent on an Origin WFB I don't know why you don't just buy Turbo, or if you can't afford him then Ponga.
    toast
    toast

Post by toast Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 am

Need to catch up on the past few days of the forum to get some trade ideas because mine have been pretty ordinary.
    Disappointed with my team but even more disappointed over the lack of 69 scores the past three rounds Sad

Seriously, none since round 6. I can't believe it.
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Wed May 11, 2022 12:59 am

White Lightning wrote:Who would you play (a) Starling or (b) Ilias

Here is my team:
    Randall
    Haas, Taumalolo, Tapine
    TPJ, Fermor
    Cleary (c), Burton
    Tago, Penisini
    Hynes, May, S, Crichton

Starling, Cotter, M. King, A. Elliott
    Ilias, Leo Thompson, Billy Smith, Rushton

Thanks.

Pretty good team mate. Gotta go with the obvious choice Starling over Ilias for me. Even not playing 80, Starling's floor isn't far off Ilias' career high (the 45 last week). Won't say ceiling because Ilias could pull a 60+ out of nowhere at some point.

Surely that question was just to post your team? Laughing
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Wed May 11, 2022 1:00 am

toast wrote:Need to catch up on the past few days of the forum to get some trade ideas because mine have been pretty ordinary.
    Disappointed with my team but even more disappointed over the lack of 69 scores the past three rounds Sad

None in Rds 6 or 9? I can't believe it either. Scoring must be rigged.

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2022 1:02 am

Mulvy wrote:

You're in a good position. I think you'll do well. Definitely seems a year where middies with upside make the money. Our starts couldn't be different. I nailed the guns and original cashies and waited patiently for the cows that never came. Then picked Taaffe Vomit It shows what I've always thought, that how you trade during a season is infinitely more important than your starting squad.

True I would have preferred to have used less trades too haha
    Didn't MTB share a stat about winners and where they started the year as well
    Simply put its a big head start getting most of the right players up front and those extra trades will be gold over the byes
    I would say the difference of say finishing top 10k or top 1k is probably the trades
    So it pays not to give up and at least have a crack or go hard on the byes as thats probably a jump on most (outside the forum)

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2022 1:03 am

toast wrote:Need to catch up on the past few days of the forum to get some trade ideas because mine have been pretty ordinary.

Hopefully your toast starts to fall butter side up this week
    And your lunch is cut by yourself and not by the fantasy gods

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:52 pm