NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 81 - Can the last green dot please turn off the lights

Shady2K
    Shady2K

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 81 - Can the last green dot please turn off the lights - Page 34 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 81 - Can the last green dot please turn off the lights

Post by Shady2K Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:24 pm

Final rank 190 updated. 22nd in FOG for L2 (?)

When can we change team names for next year cause I have one I’ve been sitting on for months haha

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 81 - Can the last green dot please turn off the lights - Page 34 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 81 - Can the last green dot please turn off the lights

Post by Guest Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:25 pm

Well that was my final year as a H2H player, crashed out of the finals in spectacular fashion.  Had a rank of 9000k in the end

Some impressive results by you guys
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:27 pm

trade history already gone lol
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:40 pm

robelgordo wrote:trade history already gone lol

haha thats so weird.

better run my final round scripts!
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:43 pm

my tv broke wrote:

haha thats so weird.

better run my final round scripts!
    Are you able to find out things like for instance, biggest rank rise from say Round 13 to 27.

See who navigated the byes and run home the best in terms of rank?

Or is that tough
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:50 pm

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:
    Are you able to find out things like for instance, biggest rank rise from say Round 13 to 27.

Or is that tough

I can figure that stuff out, just have to write some queries etc.

I have every teams rank/points/total score/trades for each round.

The general idea was always to make an 'archive' of this stuff that people could play around with

Last edited by my tv broke on Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:51 pm

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:

Or is that tough

Obvs haven't heard about the BL charge
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:05 pm

my tv broke wrote:

I can figure that stuff out, just have to write some queries etc.

I have every teams rank/points/total score/trades for each round.

The general idea was always to make an 'archive' of this stuff that people could play around with
    Ahhh nice one, love a good stats dive
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:07 pm

There's no need to spend time sizing up trades, so why not fill that void by voting for your favourite/most deserving fantatics:

https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2328-2023-nrl-fanatics-awards

Currently 5 people have voted - I'm pretty sure our community can do better than that
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Have just posted a massive write-up in my team tracker, going through my trades round by round and taking away key learnings from the season.

I know most of you guns on here finished much higher than my 1489, so not sure how much you can take from it, but you never know what you can learn from other people's mistakes I guess! Very Happy
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:10 pm

I think there will be some interesting decisions for trade planning for next year

Obviously this season was total carnage, as big as its ever been and every one could have done a lot better with a bunch of trades in the last 2 weeks.

Assuming the same trade setup next year, what will people do differently? How many trades will people save for the last 2 weeks. This year most people only had 1 or for the last 4-5 weeks which wasn't enough. But if there wasn't so many outs in the last 2 weeks it might have been fine.

Most seasons, (and probably this season too) if you save 4 trades for the last round, you're likely to be too far behind for the extra trades to make enough of a difference. Unless you've been very lucky with injury/trade timing you'll have dropped too many points.

So the fine line will be striking that balance between avoiding sideways trades/players who get injured, but trading enough to cover byes/get in the right guns
    Rabbit
    Rabbit

Post by Rabbit Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:18 pm

Camo123 wrote:Seb Kris 5 game suspension

Presumably misses the start of next year unless there’s some loophole for suspension to be used if you’re not in the first choice NZ team for the internationals after the GF

So my team’s fucked this week as well.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:23 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    I think there will be some interesting decisions for trade planning for next year

Obviously this season was total carnage, as big as its ever been and every one could have done a lot better with a bunch of trades in the last 2 weeks.

Assuming the same trade setup next year, what will people do differently? How many trades will people save for the last 2 weeks. This year most people only had 1 or for the last 4-5 weeks which wasn't enough. But if there wasn't so many outs in the last 2 weeks it might have been fine.

Most seasons, (and probably this season too) if you save 4 trades for the last round, you're likely to be too far behind for the extra trades to make enough of a difference. Unless you've been very lucky with injury/trade timing you'll have dropped too many points.

So the fine line will be striking that balance between avoiding sideways trades/players who get injured, but trading enough to cover byes/get in the right guns

If I did some 50/50s differently I probably would have ended up with 4-5 more trades which could have been difference

Carty and Preston (both quite popular)in starting team instead of Doorey and dud cow
    JDB instead of Cotter in R9 (brought Cotter in and then out next round)
    Marzhew in R15 and out R16 for being dropped
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:49 pm

mrbrownstone wrote:Have just posted a massive write-up in my team tracker, going through my trades round by round and taking away key learnings from the season.

I know most of you guns on here finished much higher than my 1489, so not sure how much you can take from it, but you never know what you can learn from other people's mistakes I guess! Very Happy

Love these.

Ended my tracker last year with one. Didn't do a tracker this year but planning to write up a trades retro later this week
    OB
    OB

Post by OB Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:57 pm

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:

Or is that tough

I was traversing the mire of 100k + position, but round 13 I was placed 133,937 and ended on 59,024.
    Made 74,913 positions in the final 14 weeks.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:09 pm

Camo123 wrote:
    If I did some 50/50s differently I probably would have ended up with 4-5 more trades which could have been difference

Just looking at my team, if I kept every trade the same, but optimised my bench selection and captaincy, I could have got an extra 780 points, and easily taken home overall honours.
    Its also amazing how often the correct captaincy choice this year was SJ
    (but If I'd gone SJ every week, would have missed even more points in the weeks Cleary went big - the obvious solution is captaincy roulette, but get the choice right every time)

I'd suggest most people could have done much better, if they only changed 1 or 2 trades, and were better/luckier in captaincy/bench selection. And a lot of the trades/choices that went wrong would have been due to bad luck, not a bad decision.

Nobody needs to go out and make massive changes to their strategy, just get a few of the edge cases correct and you'll see a big improvement.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Nobody needs to go out and make massive changes to their strategy, just get a few of the edge cases correct and you'll see a big improvement.

Agree with this. There is a skill in being in contention (whether that's top 100, 500, 1000 each year = contention, I dunno). Then to win it (or go close) is going to take a good run of positive variance on a series of 50/50 decisions and some other luck
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:59 pm

Milchcow wrote:

Just looking at my team, if I kept every trade the same, but optimised my bench selection and captaincy, I could have got an extra 780 points, and easily taken home overall honours.
    Its also amazing how often the correct captaincy choice this year was SJ
    (but If I'd gone SJ every week, would have missed even more points in the weeks Cleary went big - the obvious solution is captaincy roulette, but get the choice right every time)

I'd suggest most people could have done much better, if they only changed 1 or 2 trades, and were better/luckier in captaincy/bench selection. And a lot of the trades/choices that went wrong would have been due to bad luck, not a bad decision.

Yup. If I'd gotten Drinkwater instead of Edwards in R14, I'd have been 82 points better off + an extra trade in R27 (I'm including Suaalii's final two scores in that equation as I traded DEdwards to him in R26).

That extra 82 points is already good enough to jump me an extra 272 places - just from one trade. Fine margins indeed.

I also got Hosking instead of Horse in R6. I went on a trade run of Hosking -> HEdwards -> NAS -> Murray. If instead of doing that I'd just had Horse the whole time I'd have been 20 points better off, but more importantly 3 trades better off.

There's an extra 4 trades and 100 points just from two trades that would have been seen as 50/50 at the time (Hosking v Horse and Edwards v Drinkwater).
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:22 pm

I think if everyone only considers the decisions where they lost the coin toss we'd all have finished 1st
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:34 pm

robelgordo wrote:I think if everyone only considers the decisions where they lost the coin toss we'd all have finished 1st

Incorrect. I am the only one allowed to change decisions with hindsight

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:19 pm