NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want - Page 44 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:48 pm

mattnz wrote:

If named on the EDG R1, I probably get him. If not, I probably don't.

Piakura sounds like he might just miss round 1.

I don't think his replacement, whoever it is , is a buy, unless you at confident they'll also score well when Piakura returns.

Ando
    Ando

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want - Page 44 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 3 - Half the height we want

Post by Ando Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:51 pm

Let's go NRLFF League 1 cheer
    Ando
    Ando

Post by Ando Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Mulvy wrote:Walsh Sucks

Second worst Full Back in the comp after Sloan
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:57 pm

If the situation remains as is and Piakura is out R1, he is cheap enough to hide in the reserves for a week. There is no need to waste a trade on a cash cow of his capacity. With any luck, people avoid him and then miss out on the price rises because they have other Week 1 fires to put out
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:00 pm

Ando wrote:

Second worst Full Back in the comp after Sloan

Munster was so bad at FB they made him change positions
    OB
    OB

Post by OB Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:04 pm

Milchcow wrote:

I don't think his replacement, whoever it is , is a buy, unless you at confident they'll also score well when Piakura returns.

Not sure if you have info I'm not privy to, but the magic sponge podcast said that it could be between 1 to 6 weeks depending on the severity and that Kevvy typically keeps his cards close to his chest - playing down injuries.

He also said that given the most likely mechanism (knee into the ground) it is most probably a PCL strain.
    the_great_wobbler
    the_great_wobbler

Post by the_great_wobbler Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:06 pm

L-Jimmy wrote:An efficient and useful price system should provide fantasy players with the signals they need to buy or sell footy playing assets.

The scoring determined price system as it currently stands is obviously entirely unsuitable by the way it treats DNP.

Player who plays 1 minute and score zero faces a price penalty whereas a player who scores zero minutes and scores zero does not.

This leads to oddities like players who've played only one game per season coming back in at a high price point and not offering value and not giving an incentive to bring them in. It can also lead fantasy players to hold on for too long a time to assets who will not play simply because they don't depreciate.

But worse still It means the price signal is broken to the point of meaninglessness. A formerly gun prop out for 4 weeks with a knee injury should be expected to come back scoring at a lower level, ditto  a fullback with a dodgy hamstring.

To remedy this awkward state of affairs, I propose that DNP=NULL is replaced by a score 50% of that at which the player is priced. For instance, a player priced at 40 points per game would, should they be away for a week with HIA, be awarded 20 points for the game they missed.

This would incentivise far greater trading activity, and so we would also need to increase the number of trades. But this much higher degree of engagement would lead to better outcomes for enthused fantasy players who understand how different injuries would would impact different players. And remove the bonus less engaged players get for simply always holding Cleary.

It also would change the mad rush for base price cows, into a staged sensible rush throughout the year. Looking at players who are coming back from injury. We wouldn't all be obsessing over some unproven 19-year-old fullback, but instead cheering for turbos legs to actually get better faster.

We shall call this Jimmy's rule, and it should be implemented forthwith.

50% of their current pricing will have players depreciate really fast, leading to higher overall team values. You might not even need to add trades.

My worry is that there is enough media via podcasts, video, facebook etc that anyone even remotely interested will get that information without needing to infer it. I think the end result would be end of year teams that are too samey, as everyone's team value is higher and therefore closer to the "ideal" team and therefore decreasing the overall skill ceiling rather than increasing it.
    GreenSchist
    GreenSchist

Post by GreenSchist Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:06 pm

my tv broke wrote:Why would willison play edge ? Did this just get made up on the forum? I dont think hes ever played edge in his life and hes not even a certainty to make the 17.

It will be Hunt if piakura has to miss a week

Bit of chat in other fantasy circles in light of the Piakura injury but sounds more like hopeless optimism.
    I agree that Hunt would be the beneficiary, barring some weird re-shuffle where Carrigan moves to the edge to cover the injury.
    GreenSchist
    GreenSchist

Post by GreenSchist Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:08 pm

Obbeats wrote:

Not sure if you have info I'm not privy to, but the magic sponge podcast said that it could be between 1 to 6 weeks depending on the severity and that Kevvy typically keeps his cards close to his chest - playing down injuries.

He also said that given the most likely mechanism (knee into the ground) it is most probably a PCL strain.

Broncos backrower Brendan Piakura has sustained a medial cruciate ligament strain.

Piakura underwent scans at the Qscan Clive Berghofer facility today after sustaining the knee injury in yesterday’s win over the Cowboys in Mackay.

Broncos Head Of Performance Dave Ballard said: "The scans show Brendan has picked up a low-grade strain to his MCL.

"We'll see how he pulls up over the next 24 hours before mapping out a rehab program over the coming days

“Brendan remains a chance to play Round 1 but there is a full season ahead of us, so we will see how it settles before making a final decision.”
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

GreenSchist wrote:

Bit of chat in other fantasy circles in light of the Piakura injury but sounds more like hopeless optimism.
    I agree that Hunt would be the beneficiary, barring some weird re-shuffle where Carrigan moves to the edge to cover the injury.

But Fantasy have given Willison MID/EDG dual so he must be an edge, right?
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:11 pm

2 weeks until R1 and 4 weeks until R2. Odds in favour that he doesn't miss too much time with a 1-6 week injury, if that's what it is.
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:14 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:2 weeks until R1 and 4 weeks until R2. Odds in favour that he doesn't miss too much time with a 1-6 week injury, if that's what it is.

Don't want to see him rushing back early, due to a lack of other options, like we saw with Kiraz last season.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:16 pm

Obbeats wrote:
    Milchcow wrote:

Round 2 is 4 weeks away. That is well within possibility for a 1-6 injury timeline

The official Broncos website (if you want to give it any credence) says he remains a chance to play round 1
    https://www.broncos.com.au/news/20242/02/19/qscan-injury-update-brendan-piakura/
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 pm

We have a late withdrawal in one of our NRL Draft teams.

If anyone is keen to give Draft a go, please let me know.

Draft details are here;
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2340-2024-nrl-fantasy-fanatics-draft-leagues

Just add your name to the bottom and watch for a PM
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2340p60-2024-nrl-fantasy-fanatics-draft-leagues#744576

Thanks!
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:25 pm

easytiger wrote:We have a late withdrawal in one of our NRL Draft teams.

If anyone is keen to give Draft a go, please let me know.

Draft details are here;
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2340-2024-nrl-fantasy-fanatics-draft-leagues

Just add your name to the bottom and watch for a PM
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2340p60-2024-nrl-fantasy-fanatics-draft-leagues#744576

Thanks!

Happy to fill in another league if required mate
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:26 pm

If the replacement for Piakura is Hunt, I would be surprised if he is in the team the following week.

If the beneficiary is someone else and they get a significant bump in scoring because of it in week 1, then it makes a difference to their cash generation.

If it happened to be Willison, if he is seen as getting some minutes both on EDG and MID, it makes a big difference to his potential minutes going forwards as well.

Last edited by mattnz on Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 pm

Word in the Courier Mail is Piakura is travelling to Vegas so he’d probably be more likely than not to play R1 as if he’s guaranteed out, a long flight isn’t the ideal recovery for an injury

Schuster also confirmed out R1 after new bout of calf soreness after weekend and Manly hope he’s available R2 (Daily Telegraph)

Last edited by Camo123 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:44 pm

Camo123 wrote:Word in the Courier Mail is Piakura is travelling to Vegas so he’d probably be more likely than not to play R1 as if he’s guaranteed out, a long flight isn’t the ideal recovery for an injury

Whether he plays or not I think the right play is just stash him in your 21. Don't waste a trade getting him later
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 pm

Welshy wrote:

Happy to fill in another league if required mate

Welshy sure does like a draft!
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 pm

Shady2K wrote:

Whether he plays or not I think the right play is just stash him in your 21. Don't waste a trade getting him later

I don't know.

Fantasy history is littered with players being 50/50 to take the field, then missing 6 weeks in a row

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:28 am