NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 61 - Play The One Who Scores The Most Points, Duh

standard-issue
    standard-issue

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 61 - Play The One Who Scores The Most Points, Duh - Page 19 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 61 - Play The One Who Scores The Most Points, Duh

Post by standard-issue Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:30 am

Revraiser wrote:Aardvark has many strings to his bow. And he doesn't take drugs as far as i know, or gamble.

Life in the African wilderness is a continual gamble.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 61 - Play The One Who Scores The Most Points, Duh - Page 19 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 61 - Play The One Who Scores The Most Points, Duh

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:30 am

Chewie wrote:

He does eat cheetos in his parents' basement though

cheer
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:31 am

standard-issue wrote:

Life in the African wilderness is a continual gamble.

I visualise an Aardvark roaming the jungle with a deck of cards strapped to his side.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:43 am

Welsh Mafia wrote:

What was the stance?

Garrick wasn't concussed because he came back into the sheds and said 'I'm not concussed'.

There was a small stumble "apparently", which suggests it was subjective when Garrick very clearly lost control of his body as he fell to his knees.

General vibes that the concussion rules were too strict with some empty platitudes about player safety being number at the same time.

Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:44 am

Revraiser wrote:Aardvark has many strings to his bow. And he doesn't take drugs as far as i know, or gamble.
    He may once have had to get two teeth crowned in the aftermath of a two week jolly up in Ibiza but that was long ago and the details are lost in time.

He also bought a lotto ticket once.

But hey Aardvarks are like humans, complicated and riddled with hypocrisy 😂
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:53 am

Aardvark wrote:

Yeah look, agree that they haven't been playing particularly well but the backlash has been OTT.

It's mostly come from blokes pissed off  that women might actually be enjoying supporting a sporting team made up of women for the first time.

The statue thing, which has become something to beat them with, was some over exuberant politician hoping to ride the bandwagon for a few minutes...it was never serious

This 'why don't we celebrate all of the other successful women' argument is the archetypal straw man. We do celebrate them when we actually see the sports. The reality is that no one is watching kayaking, swimming, rugby of any form, hockey outside of the Olympics every four years.

Football is the most popular participant sport in the world...people (both women and men) have easy access to both watch and play it in most countries in the world, therefore it is popular. The reason the Matilda's are popular is that they just represented our country in a major international sporting event which was held in our country and did pretty well. Young women and girls had access to big games and for most it was the first time supporting a team made up of people they could relate to.

I coach and have coached girls football teams for a long time and it's a really big deal for young girls to be able to support a woman's team. Who gives a shit if a bunch of surly men don't think they deserve the accolades. Australia is ranked 12th in the world in a sport that is actually played by most countries and regularly punches above it's weight in tournament competition. The reality is that Australia will probably never win a world cup or an Olympic gold in football but it doesn't mean we should shout down women who still want to support the team.

This is real 'take a look at yourself' territory if you're a bloke scoffing at them. It's fine to disagree with selections and tactics or to point out sub standard performances but a lot of the commentary has really strayed into "I've been waiting for a chance to unleash territory" because I'm pissed off they're popular (and they're women).

I know you don't agree and that's fine but there ya go.

Joked to my wife the other day that the Matildas have really made it because a bunch of white middle-aged blokes on TV and radio that don't really give a shit about any women's sport if we're being real are savaging them after a bad performance.

They lost and people are like "what a bunch of losers, started believing their own hype". Germany of course being completely unknown for their football ability.

I have 4 sons and they follow the Matildas and their players exploits in WSL and A-League as much as mens soccer, probably moreso than the male Matildas. It's pretty great. The team will likely never reach these peaks again as more of the world develops their pathways for women (small fish in a very big soccer pond) but it's hopefully enduring.

Also people can walk and chew gum at the same time. It's possible for me to pretend I'm a canoe-kayak expert 2 weeks every four years because Jess Fox Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi, or same with McKeown (sic) or Titmus... probably won't watch Anna Meares since she's been retired quite some time, but yeah, I can do that while watching a sport I enjoy more frequently too.
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:58 am

WT Winfield wrote:Looks like all updates have landed and scores updated on desktop. Still pending any late shenanigans tomorrow.

Hopefully scraped through the Eliminator with 1031 to Danseels 1028.

Looks like I spoke too soon Vomit

Dylbags -2 for me

Grant and EKatoa +1 each for Dan

Can't see any other uniques changed. So Dan gets the win by a point. That's early retirement worthy. That Plath trade is gonna haunt me for awhile. And Cotter could only manage 7 in 20 mins? Evil or Very Mad

Cotter with 19 run metres.. ouch. Just 1 metre bro.
    Welsh Mafia
    Welsh Mafia

Post by Welsh Mafia Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:08 am

robelgordo wrote:

Garrick wasn't concussed because he came back into the sheds and said 'I'm not concussed'.

There was a small stumble "apparently", which suggests it was subjective when Garrick very clearly lost control of his body as he fell to his knees.

General vibes that the concussion rules were too strict with some empty platitudes about player safety being number at the same time.

Cheers mate. Guess Seib's will have him lining up in R23 then!
    lukeayee
    lukeayee

Post by lukeayee Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:09 am

Aardvark wrote:

Yeah look, agree that they haven't been playing particularly well but the backlash has been OTT.

It's mostly come from blokes pissed off  that women might actually be enjoying supporting a sporting team made up of women for the first time.

The statue thing, which has become something to beat them with, was some over exuberant politician hoping to ride the bandwagon for a few minutes...it was never serious

This 'why don't we celebrate all of the other successful women' argument is the archetypal straw man. We do celebrate them when we actually see the sports. The reality is that no one is watching kayaking, swimming, rugby of any form, hockey outside of the Olympics every four years.

Football is the most popular participant sport in the world...people (both women and men) have easy access to both watch and play it in most countries in the world, therefore it is popular. The reason the Matilda's are popular is that they just represented our country in a major international sporting event which was held in our country and did pretty well. Young women and girls had access to big games and for most it was the first time supporting a team made up of people they could relate to.

I coach and have coached girls football teams for a long time and it's a really big deal for young girls to be able to support a woman's team. Who gives a shit if a bunch of surly men don't think they deserve the accolades. Australia is ranked 12th in the world in a sport that is actually played by most countries and regularly punches above it's weight in tournament competition. The reality is that Australia will probably never win a world cup or an Olympic gold in football but it doesn't mean we should shout down women who still want to support the team.

This is real 'take a look at yourself' territory if you're a bloke scoffing at them. It's fine to disagree with selections and tactics or to point out sub standard performances but a lot of the commentary has really strayed into "I've been waiting for a chance to unleash territory" because I'm pissed off they're popular (and they're women).

I know you don't agree and that's fine but there ya go.

"Football is the most popular participant sport in the world" - Not for women it isn't. And not for Australian men either.

This is real 'take a look at yourself' territory if you're a bloke scoffing at them. It's fine to disagree with selections and tactics or to point out sub standard performances but a lot of the commentary has really strayed into "I've been waiting for a chance to unleash territory" because I'm pissed off they're popular (and they're women) - Oh come on, you really think men are sitting around hoping for their demise? Give me a break. I watched every game and celebrated their wins and hurt with them in the losses, I bet a lot of Australian men and sports enthusiats did as well. The problem is when you get the platform, don't abuse it. I'll grant you that politicians and media were as much to blame for this as anyone, but Sam Kerr did herself no favours, there was a strong case of biting the hand that feeds you.

This is why I can't stand politics in sport. People ill qualified to give us opinions feel like it's their god given right. Look at the disgrace of the opening ceremony. Olympics will be lucky to survive after this in my opinion.

Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:19 am

Aardvark wrote:
    He may once have had to get two teeth crowned in the aftermath of a two week jolly up in Ibiza but that was long ago and the details are lost in time.

He also bought a lotto ticket once.

But hey Aardvarks are like humans, complicated and riddled with hypocrisy 😂

Hope Aardvarks are open to retorts, I'm sure ones coming hahaha

I'm sure the tooth incident was something noble like doing the tug boats work and pulling the cruise ship ashore..
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:25 am

Outside time vs Twitter/X
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:27 am

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:Outside time vs Twitter/X

Outsides overrated, it's for people who still use brill cream
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:27 am

Fucking Bam! Why can't we like our own posts !!
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:28 am

Revraiser wrote:

Outsides overrated, it's for people who still use brill cream
    Slicked back
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:32 am

Lukeaye disagrees and quotes the office bloke:
    Response to the response to the response:

Last edited by Aardvark on Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:40 am

Don't want politics in sports ignores that everything is political. EVERYTHING. The status quo is political.
    lukeayee
    lukeayee

Post by lukeayee Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:49 am

Aardvark wrote:
    As I said I know you don’t agree and that’s fine but

I acknowledged they aren’t playing well but that’s due to on-field factors and not much else.

Yes, there are a bunch of blokes who don’t really give a shit about football waiting to stick the boot in.

Yes, Sam Kerr did herself no favours but how is that different from a long list of male Aus sportsmen who’ve behaved just as badly or far worse? Did we try to conflate their behaviour with criticism of the team?

The old ‘Politics in Sport’ chestnut. Politics and Sport have always been intertwined what people really mean is I don’t want politics in sport if they don’t agree with me (and that goes for both left and right). Also not being a prick to people (ie racism, sexism etc) is not politics it’s just not being a prick.

Edit : will add some ‘hiding’ when I can work it on my tiny phone screen

Yes of course, the womens team is copping it because they are women. Men are guilty of the same issues, it's not gender, its' using politics in sport. Live by that sword die by that sword.

Are the rabbitohs copping crap because they have aboriginal men on their team? Or is it because of things like kicking out Arey and Latrell Mitchell being bigger than the game.
    Walsh underperforms, now it's kevie and the Broncos problem - suddenly the whole structure is falling down. Does Walsh have off field issues? Does he care about the team? Is he spending too much time partying? I can point to countless examples. Don't think the women's soccer team is special, they aren't. Just the latest from a list of casualties.

You can make claims that some men at the margin are putting the boot because of spite, but I'm not talking about the margin. As you rightly pointed out, the media and politicians made this all mainstream.

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:50 am

Uto gone from Tigers after 2024, as expected. No new club confirmed for 2025, but Bulldogs and Storm the favourites. Bulldogs could use his size. Storm could go either way IMO - he slowly develops into the star and alpha he's always been projected as, but never got close to at the Tigers; or an important cog in their side but just another role player.

All the clauses the Tigers gave him were pretty insane. Sad if that's the only way smaller clubs can attract and retain talent now.
    Chucky
    Chucky

Post by Chucky Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:53 am

Bad news for Cobbo owners.
    Channel 9 reporting he’s been arrested.
    No charges at this stage and no real details on why.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:55 am

Chucky wrote:Bad news for Cobbo owners.
    Channel 9 reporting he’s been arrested.
    No charges at this stage and no real details on why.

One of two trades decided.

Edit: already traded out last week, classic casual Rev.

Last edited by Revraiser on Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:18 pm