NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 65 - Only four threads to go. We can do this.

Rabbit
    Rabbit

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 65 - Only four threads to go. We can do this. - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 65 - Only four threads to go. We can do this.

Post by Rabbit Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:21 am

Why the fuck would they rest Howarth ffs? Resting 11 players is really an insult to the fan base. That's not my fantasy goggles talking, it's a fact. This is getting ridiculous.
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 65 - Only four threads to go. We can do this. - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 65 - Only four threads to go. We can do this.

Post by Chewie Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:26 am

Aardvark wrote:

Saw that, not quite up there with the Hopoate BBQ incident* in terms of stupid injury of the season if only because he hasn't missed any game time.

*In Hopoate's defence I think he was a bystander and it was CHN's house

This reminds me of the Dragon's players stay-at-home breach incident during the covid madness
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:22 am

Hoppa's injury was stupid, in the sense it was bizarre, but not really a stupid act. Seems unlucky.

Angus maybe borderline, depending on your take on professional athletes taking unnecessary risks in other areas of their lives.

Dragons BBQ definitely stupid on all fronts
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:25 am

Rabbit wrote:Why the fuck would they rest Howarth ffs? Resting 11 players is really an insult to the fan base. That's not my fantasy goggles talking, it's a fact. This is getting ridiculous.

I'm all for it. If they've got players who are sore and with niggles what's the point in flying them up to Townsville to play in a game that doesn't matter for their club two weeks out before finals?

I hate the Storm but it makes sense if you support them, the goal is to win a premiership. This gives them a better chance at doing that.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:33 am

Honeysett wrote:I'm all for it. If they've got players who are sore and with niggles what's the point in flying them up to Townsville to play in a game that doesn't matter for their club two weeks out before finals?

I hate the Storm but it makes sense if you support them, the goal is to win a premiership. This gives them a better chance at doing that.

definitely.

while the nrl push to have the longest seasons possible to max tv dollars, teams will rest players when they need to.

if a season was ~20 games per team with a full bye week before finals, players wouldnt get rested.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:40 am

my tv broke wrote:

definitely.

while the nrl push to have the longest seasons possible to max tv dollars, teams will rest players when they need to.

if a season was ~20 games per team with a full bye week before finals, players wouldnt get rested.

Agree plus with SOO squeezed in there mid season & the continued refusal to have a universal rest before finals it's really just encouraging teams to rest (and they do)
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:48 am

my tv broke wrote:

definitely.

As long as they do it next week!
    Which they obviously probably won't now......

Also according to PVL it sounds like the NRL are keen for the 20 teams and 'play each other once' and fill the other gaps with international games - which is really good news.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:49 am

Yeah, reduce the season and add a mid-season rep break and/or a week off before finals, then I think you could justify punishing teams for not playing full strength. Might get easier with an 18/20 team comp
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:58 am

Honeysett wrote:
    Rabbit wrote:Why the fuck would they rest Howarth ffs? Resting 11 players is really an insult to the fan base. That's not my fantasy goggles talking, it's a fact. This is getting ridiculous.

I'm all for it. If they've got players who are sore and with niggles what's the point in flying them up to Townsville to play in a game that doesn't matter for their club two weeks out before finals?

I agree that Storm should act with the primary goal of winning the comp. My issue with it is that its not great for teams competing with the Cowboys for finals positions.

If Cowboys get a big win this weekend and can get into the top 4 because of it, it is not a great look for competition integrity.

I don't think the solution is somehow trying to enforce which players teams are/aren't allowed to play - its up to the NRL to create a schedule where such things aren't generally beneficial. But will never happen when origin takes over the middle of the comp for 7 weeks a year
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:01 am

Aardvark wrote:
    robelgordo wrote:Angus has all those bandages up his arms because he has grazes from an electric skateboard stack - source/NRL physio

Saw that, not quite up there with the Hopoate BBQ incident* in terms of stupid injury of the season if only because he hasn't missed any game time.

The best injury is still Rio Ferdinand who missed games after putting his feet up on a coffee table whilst watching TV
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:01 am

Milchcow wrote:

I agree that Storm should act with the primary goal of winning the comp. My issue with it is that its not great for teams competing with the Cowboys for finals positions.

If Cowboys get a big win this weekend and can get into the top 4 because of it, it is not a great look for competition integrity.

I don't think the solution is somehow trying to enforce which players teams are/aren't allowed to play - its up to the NRL to create a schedule where such things aren't generally beneficial. But will never happen when origin takes over the middle of the comp for 7 weeks a year

I don't think 2nd tier Storm is going to be an easy win for the Cowboys
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:03 am

Calling all members of the newly established robel 9000

1. Best 2 player combo for ~1.25m (trading Strange + Uto/Fainu)
    - 2 sub-guns e.g Haumole + Cotter,
    - gun + playable cheapie e.g. Hynes + Isaako???
    2. Best 2 player combo for ~1.45m (trading Strange + Galvin)
    - Hynes plus a 600k-ish guy (e.g. Haumole)
    - two 700k-ish guns (e.g. Koloa + Kini)

If you need the full team, cfb writing it, here's a link: https://footystatistics.com/team_analyser.php?team_id=21319&year=2024

Any advice much appreciated. I'm not used to having trades and options at the end game, so really unsure how to play this.

Last edited by robelgordo on Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:04 am

Chewie wrote:
    Milchcow wrote:

I don't think 2nd tier Storm is going to be an easy win for the Cowboys

And even if the Cowboys win, they aren't actually to get into the top 4 on the back of it. But its more the principal. Easy to see situations where teams "throwing" games can have reaching impacts across the comp.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:08 am

Milchcow wrote:

And even if the Cowboys win, they aren't actually to get into the top 4 on the back of it.  But its more the principal. Easy to see situations where teams "throwing" games can have reaching impacts across the comp.

I do agree. Generally Origin mucks up the integrity of the comp, big time. Honestly would be better taking a 4-5 week break to play the series, plus any internationals, plus some kind of NRL mid-season comp (or extend that 2 week preseason pts table they have for the id-season break)

This obviously ignores the cash implications.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:13 am

In other news, just caught up on the Cam Murray news. In the context of their season, I don't understand why they challenged? Unless the grade level has implications for future infringements?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:23 am

Milchcow wrote:

And even if the Cowboys win, they aren't actually to get into the top 4 on the back of it.  But its more the principal. Easy to see situations where teams "throwing" games can have reaching impacts across the comp.

100%

It is happening already.

The Storm clearly...and rightfully concerned that the Broncos are their biggest threats to winning the comp, so are blatantly manipulating the draw to knock the Broncos out next week.

I'd go as far as saying it is almost match-fixing.....
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:26 am

Best injury is still Dave Taylor's "I fell out of bed" black eye. Laughing
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:27 am

robelgordo wrote:

I do agree. Generally Origin mucks up the integrity of the comp, big time. Honestly would be better taking a 4-5 week break to play the series, plus any internationals, plus some kind of NRL mid-season comp (or extend that 2 week preseason pts table they have for the id-season break)

This obviously ignores the cash implications.

I know the general feeling is that SOO at the end of the year doesn't work but that was as a result of different circumstances IMO.

My ideal scheduling scenario, when we get to 20 teams is:

- Rd 1 to Rd 19, each team plays each other once.
    - Finals
    - SOO
    - International

No byes, not such a long season, no resting up at the end of the year, builds to a climax, more focus on the international games/series/tours at the end of the year.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:52 am

i don't blame the storm for resting players who i blame are the 15 other teams that let the storm build up a points buffer so we end up here
    taliking about bizarre injuries years ago i was in a final & our fb was rooting this ho in a shower the night before he was wasted tripped & fell through the glass & nearly killed himself as he cut himself severely
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:07 pm

robelgordo wrote:Calling all members of the newly established robel 9000

1. Best 2 player combo for ~1.25m (trading Strange + Uto/Fainu)
    - 2 sub-guns e.g Haumole + Cotter,
    - gun + playable cheapie e.g. Hynes + Isaako???
    2. Best 2 player combo for ~1.45m (trading Strange + Galvin)
    - Hynes plus a 600k-ish guy (e.g. Haumole)
    - two 700k-ish guns (e.g. Koloa + Kini)

If you need the full team, cfb writing it, here's a link: https://footystatistics.com/team_analyser.php?team_id=21319&year=2024

Any advice much appreciated. I'm not used to having trades and options at the end game, so really unsure how to play this.

Best guns IMO
    Koloamatagi with no Murray
    James Tedesco with 2 reasonable looking matchups (Raiders+ Rabbitohs) - Joseph Manu would be the cheaper point with big upside if you can;t afford Teddy

Do you want a hooker to fill in for Grant? Why not grab Liddle. Only poor score in past 3 months is the week I grabbed him in the mixer. Think he's better than Robson if you can splash the cash

Other options
    Dylan Edwards - goalkicking no Cleary. Easy run in
    Adam Reynolds - last game is against Storm which doesn't typically bode well, but maybe they rest again?
    Matt Burton - most traded in player this week for a reason

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:43 am