NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists

WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists - Page 12 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists

Post by WT Winfield Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:10 am

robelgordo wrote:Is there any actual evidence Cheese is injured… like a source? Like even a rumour based one like Wacko?

Probably just got winded.

In which case you’re all dropping a guy you pegged for 50+ average, which will comprise the occasional 30s and occasional 70s, because he got the 30 first up.

What am I missing here?

Yeah I've been waiting for something concrete on BSmith. Roosters play 4th vs. Warriors, so can wait until final teamlists to trade him to Ford if injured. My other trade thoughts play later, so I got a lucky draw there.
    mattnz
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists - Page 12 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists

Post by mattnz Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:14 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

Unsure of validity of a comparison where Harry Grant and Jake Turpin are interchangeable.

Have a look at the Roosters bench this week and last, they are counting on Turpin getting HOK minutes and Cheese covering MID.

Turpin
    Hutchison
    Whyte
    May

Baker averages about 35 minutes as starting prop. May is the only recognised MID and they only played him 30 minutes last week. Whyte may need to play some EDG if Wong is named EDG if Radley is out.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:18 am

mattnz wrote:

Have a look at the Roosters bench this week and last, they are counting on Turpin getting HOK minutes and Cheese covering MID.

This is the sort of misuse of stats that people get so wound up about.

Step away from the numbers for a minute and remember how Storm used the Smith/Grant one-two punch. Smith would soak it up as hooker for his defence in the first 20 minutes or so. Grant would come on and play out the game. Smith would have a later stint at prop/lock.

This is definitively not the plan at the Roosters this year. Brandon Smith has not been signed as a punch-bag so Jake Turpin can come on and tear it up. It's about the worst comparison imaginable.

And if you're only talking about this week (which is a terrible reason to trade anyway) then if you've learnt nothing else about Fantasy you've surely learnt that nobody except Trent Robinson has any idea what the Roosters pack is until an hour before kickoff.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:22 am

mattnz wrote:

Grant is like 55 min average off the bench for the Storm in 21 (plus one game in 22)

There’s no way Turpin is doing that on the regular

I think last week a lot went wrong with injuries (Lodge, Radley) and their hand was forced.

Don’t get me wrong can see moving Cheese on if you really want/need a trade, just think a lot of the talk here about him “not getting the right role” is very overblown.

Last edited by robelgordo on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:22 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

This is the sort of misuse of stats that people get so wound up about.

Step away from the numbers for a minute and remember how Storm used the Smith/Grant one-two punch. Smith would soak it up as hooker for his defence in the first 20 minutes or so. Grant would come on and play out the game. Smith would have a later stint at prop/lock.

This is definitively not the plan at the Roosters this year. Brandon Smith has not been signed as a punch-bag so Jake Turpin can come on and tear it up. It's about the worst comparison imaginable.

And if you're only talking about this week (which is a terrible reason to trade anyway) then if you've learnt nothing else about Fantasy you've surely learnt that nobody except Trent Robinson has any idea what the Roosters pack is until an hour before kickoff.

Roosters MIDs that can move onto the bench, which have been named in reserves:
    Ben Thomas - average of 12 minutes in 5 games
    Elie El-Zakhem - never played NRL

Not going to make any difference.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:26 am

mattnz wrote:

Not sure how this connects to your Smith and Grant argument, but whatever.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:28 am

El-zakham has averaged 52ish the last 2 seasons in NSWRL, probably going to take Mays 1PPM role

Incidentally in looking this up to troll you, it appears that Roosters have two NSW Cup sides this year - Roosters have replaced Mounties, but some are still playing for Bears?
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:28 am

mattnz wrote:

I think you’re missing his point mate and just focussing on this week only even if Radley doesn’t play this week he and JWH will be back for the derby match against us. Cheese hasn’t been signed to play mid he has been signed to play hooker. If the Rorters wanna make top 4 which I’m sure that’s what they want Turpin isn’t gonna be a 50-60mins guy he’s more gonna be a 20mins guy mate.

I’m just listening to talking league pod and they’re saying with Cheese 3 date him then re assess I think that is smart tbh. It’s a long season. Obviously if Cheese is out or more comes of it that his ribs aren’t the best then yes probs trade. If Bird gets 50-55 points this week and Cheese gets 35-40 points I might pull that trigger next week.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:29 am

robelgordo wrote:El-zakham has averaged 52ish the last 2 seasons in NSWRL, probably going to take Mays 1PPM role

Incidentally in looking this up to troll you, it appears that Roosters have two NSW Cup sides this year - Roosters have replaced Mounties, but some are still playing for Bears?

I just had to re balance myself I legit nearly fell off the bed no joke lol!
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:32 am

Rabbits21 wrote:
    I think you’re missing his point mate and just focussing on this week only even if Radley doesn’t play this week he and JWH will be back for the derby match against us. Cheese hasn’t been signed to play mid he has been signed to play hooker. If the Rorters wanna make top 4 which I’m sure that’s what they want Turpin isn’t gonna be a 50-60mins guy he’s more gonna be a 20mins guy mate.

I’m just listening to talking league pod and they’re saying with Cheese 3 date him then re assess I think that is smart tbh. It’s a long season. Obviously if Cheese is out or more comes of it that his ribs aren’t the best then yes probs trade. If Bird gets 50-55 points this week and Cheese gets 35-40 points I might pull that trigger next week.

Wouldn't discount the possibility that Turpin or Hutchinson come on as a small middle either. Smith has signed as a hooker, been trained and conditioned as a hooker, and - unlike when Grant was on the bench - is easily the best hooker at the club.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:56 am

one thing i love aboy the NRL is the short turnaround, I mean Sunday to thursday, its so good!
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:12 am

Roosters injury report mentions no rib concerns for BSmith (was a big tackle but not sure where this rumour started)

Radley also progressing through protocols

Read and make your own conclusions here

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2023/03/07/recovery-report-round-1/
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:13 am

Ramitinmyhaaas wrote:

That ClarkeyWacko Jacko fella simply reposts articles and links doesn't actually form his own opinion on that sorta stuff. Not degrading him at all because I find his page very useful with keeping upto date with NRL news, but he isn't the actual source here, it would be an article he's read which should have it at the bottom of the photo

FTFY
    Funny how much of it goes on in the "journalism" world
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:37 am

my error rd. 1 was trying to be cute & use smith & boyd as my hookers instead of an established gun hooker so getting robson will be the focus of my trades for rd. 2.
    e. butcher out - ford in
    b. smith out - robson in

will give me

robson
    murray, carrigan, hopgood
    e. katoa, loiero
    cleary, doueihi
    thompson, talau
    tedesco, miller, warbrick

boyd, sutton, ford, trindall
    doorey, preston, alamoti, akp
    Honey Badger
    Honey Badger

Post by Honey Badger Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:25 am

White Lightning wrote:my error rd. 1 was trying to be cute & use smith & boyd as my hookers instead of an established gun hooker so getting robson will be the focus of my trades for rd. 2.
    e. butcher out - ford in
    b. smith out - robson in

will give me

robson
    murray, carrigan, hopgood
    e. katoa, loiero
    cleary, doueihi
    thompson, talau
    tedesco, miller, warbrick

boyd, sutton, ford, trindall
    doorey, preston, alamoti, akp

One of the reasons I started with Grant is I couldn't trust Smith as my main hooker.
    I think Butcher will still be a good pick but I think the Smith to Robson upgrade is worth it
    manlybeaver
    manlybeaver

Post by manlybeaver Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:41 am

My current team happy with my forwards just my backs are a concern since i currently have no back up. Teddy will have to go next week due to his bye. Will be keeping an eye on Walsh. Don't have a clue on what to do with trindall once hynes comes back.

Grant
    Haas carrigan tohu
    Fifita hopgood
    Boyd trindall
    Hunt alamoti
    Teddy ponga warbrick

Katoa ebutcher loiero ford

Bmm uto doorey katoa

mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:59 am

manlybeaver wrote:My current team happy with my forwards just my backs are a concern since i currently have no back up. Teddy will have to go next week due to his bye. Will be keeping an eye on Walsh. Don't have a clue on what to do with trindall once hynes comes back.

Grant
    Haas carrigan tohu
    Fifita hopgood
    Boyd trindall
    Hunt alamoti
    Teddy ponga warbrick

Katoa ebutcher loiero ford

Bmm uto doorey katoa

I would suggest getting some back cover asap. Hunt could be a late out for Marzhew who looked preferred in the trials and is available in the reserves this week. Thompson looks to be the favoured CTR/WFB that is inexpensive and you could play him over Alamoti this week.
    Stylebender
    Stylebender

Post by Stylebender Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:32 am

Morning ladies. I'm comfortable enough holding BSmith, however my centre combination of HSS/Alamoti/Talau worries me.
    Contemplating BSmith to IThompson which would allow me to play Doorey instead of a centre, as well as leaving me 250k to upgrade any potential failed cheapies (Katoa, Preston, Talau etc).

Thoughts?
    BCT05
    BCT05

Post by BCT05 Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:51 am

Stylebender wrote:Morning ladies. I'm comfortable enough holding BSmith, however my centre combination of HSS/Alamoti/Talau worries me.
    Contemplating BSmith to IThompson which would allow me to play Doorey instead of a centre, as well as leaving me 250k to upgrade any potential failed cheapies (Katoa, Preston, Talau etc).

Thoughts?

There's no one else you can move to Thompson instead? Smith to him seems like giving up a lot for not much in return. Doorey is passable but not great in the 17, I'm trying to keep him in my EMG personally.

I have the same centres and considering Thompson but would only do that as a swap for Talau, otherwise I'll just run with them for now, they're cheap as chips.
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:54 am

Stylebender wrote:Morning ladies. I'm comfortable enough holding BSmith, however my centre combination of HSS/Alamoti/Talau worries me.

Thoughts?

I’m doing something similar. Cheese to a CTR option to balance the team out a touch.

Bird, 602k - The expensive choice, hoping he holds the lock role is a bit of a gamble without seeing him yet this year. Minutes could be anything to start the season. Has a history of scoring fairly well in that position and would be a nice boost to the CTR position

HTF, 402k - Middle of the road option, bumper game playing for his new team at fullback. Always nice to be able to plug in a player that isn’t a CTR into this tough position. Wary of bringing in players that have just had a big game. Not much to say that hasn’t already been said.

Thompson, 332k - The cheaper option, looks like he should be a good scorer this year in the Rabbits backline. Didn’t watch the game so not sure how he’s being utilised. Looks like a big RM/TB type of player who when scores a try should have some big games. Hopefully mimics Tass’ price rises from last year.

In other words I have no idea haha

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:56 am