NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists

Ramitinmyhaaas
    Ramitinmyhaaas

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists - Page 17 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists

Post by Ramitinmyhaaas Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 am

mattnz wrote:

Have you started planning towards what you will do with all of these Origin players come round 13?

Yep, my planning is figure it out later Beer
    Antipodean1
    Antipodean1

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists - Page 17 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 11 - The case of the mistrusted team lists

Post by Antipodean1 Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:01 pm

mattnz wrote:

Note that I am much less upbeat about Carty's minutes than the post below yours where mtvb is saying Carty for 80. You could say that I am holding the middle ground, not the most optimistic of perspectives on Carty.

I started Carty expecting 3 rounds of rises, hoping for a 4th round of some minutes and selling R5 or so. I hope he gets longer but he will do the job I wanted.

I will likely bin him for Lawton, or some other cheapie who appears.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:03 pm

mattnz wrote:

Note that I am much less upbeat about Carty's minutes than the post below yours where mtvb is saying Carty for 80. You could say that I am holding the middle ground, not the most optimistic of perspectives on Carty.

Look I hope you're right, I started with Carty. I just think expectations should be tempered for those considering bringing him in. I voted yes in the community thread though because even just two scores of 37 and then out of the team completely still makes 100k.
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:03 pm

Antipodean1 wrote:

I started Carty expecting 3 rounds of rises, hoping for a 4th round of some minutes and selling R5 or so. I hope he gets longer but he will do the job I wanted.

I will likely bin him for Lawton, or some other cheapie who appears.

That was my perspective too
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:03 pm

Just going back to Bird for a minute.....he is a solid player, consistent fantasy scorer and someone at CTR who is playing in the pack.
    However, he is $600k which looks to be at or near his peak, he has consistently been moved around throughout his career, he plays for a team anticipated to be less than good and he has a coach renowned for curious selection decisions.

If you are swapping someone like B.Smith for him and you don't currently have an 18th man capable of a solid 30-40 points then you are fooling yourself. You are just shifting the problem.

I'm interested in him....but not until I've seen how this plays out for a few weeks. He isn't going anywhere price wise. in the interim one of your shitty centres could jag a 40 cheer

Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm

my tv broke wrote:Carty is carty though and one poor half and Arthur will drop him for literally anyone else

Also this.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:07 pm

Milchcow wrote:

The main difference here is that HAA/Alamoti take up 2 spots in your squad. If you're getting Bird you also get another scorer too.

That's a fair point in practicality.

So I guess it's simply a question of whether Bird+$250k in any position is ultimately better than a $250k rookie centre and some other use of $600k (on a player, or spread around)
    The right answer is probably only in hindsight and dependent on your team's make-up
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:08 pm

Aardvark wrote:Just going back to Bird for a minute.....he is a solid player, consistent fantasy scorer and someone at CTR who is playing in the pack.
    However, he is $600k which looks to be at or near his peak, he has consistently been moved around throughout his career, he plays for a team anticipated to be less than good and he has a coach renowned for curious selection decisions.

If you are swapping someone like B.Smith for him and you don't currently have an 18th man capable of a solid 30-40 points then you are fooling yourself. You are just shifting the problem.

I'm interested in him....but not until I've seen how this plays out for a few weeks. He isn't going anywhere price wise. in the interim one of your shitty centres could jag a 40 cheer

I started with him but my reasoning behind that was that he's priced in the low 40s, which is about what he'd average even at 5/8 or edge, while at lock he is easily a top 2 centre for the year.

Worst case he stays where he is and gets you scores that are keeper level for CTR, best case he averages 45-50 and you benefit even more.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:09 pm

Ramitinmyhaaas wrote:Have ended up with EButch -> Ford and Tino -> Cook this morning. Means I will have Cleary, Murray, Cook, DCE and Teddy (and absolute shit filled around them). LFG

I don't mind it. Cook is a big upgrade. EButcher isn't a must trade out, but he does have a bye coming up and allows Cook who is clear sailing for byes. Butcher has pushed his BE up and you can always get him back for someone else post bye if he looks the goods.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:09 pm

Aardvark wrote:Just going back to Bird for a minute.....he is a solid player, consistent fantasy scorer and someone at CTR who is playing in the pack.

We had Paul McGregor, Hook's selections are quite stable comparatively.

Was it Widdop FB, Hunt HB, McInnes HOK... then Dufty comes off the bench and they all move around so he can play FB? Something like that, I've repressed the exact memory.

Also never forget that we let Robson go because McInnes was our HOK, and then moved McInnes to LCK, and then didn't manage to resign McInnes anyway.
    Johnny Cash
    Johnny Cash

Post by Johnny Cash Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:09 pm

my tv broke wrote:

Preface: I know nothing and am probably wrong.. but:

I *reckon* matto will play as a bench mid when he comes back.. probably cover some edge later in game if needed.

The eels look short on bench mids at the moment... Murchie got a good run but Greig hardly any mins and didnt even give Makatoa a run.

This assumes Carty continues to perform ok.

Lane a couple of weeks after Matto returns, at full strength Matto is bench mid anyway with Lane+Doorey starting edges.

I second this!

Parramatta fell away big time when their 2 starters came off.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:11 pm

What I'm learning from this talk is picking guys with early bye rounds should be done more judiciously in future seasons. If they perform at or below expectations so the cash doesn't flow straight away, you'll just want to bin them, then you'll also maybe want to get them later again, which is an extra trade.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:13 pm

If I go to Carty it will definitely be both a cash play and a lols play.

It will be for someone in my 18-21 and there's a good chance he won't be a scorer for me

If it fails I've blown at least one trade but it won't have impacted my money making because he will replace someone who wasn't going anywhere in a hurry.

It's not a % play, it's not a sensible play but it is sort of fun and could net a little bit of cash and that is why I'm tempted.

Any expectations beyond this are probably misplaced.
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Butcher + cheese to Ford + penis.

Fairly simple. Penis is solid enough option with out breaking the bank.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:16 pm

Fortitude wrote:Butcher + cheese to Ford + penis.

Fairly simple. Penis is solid enough option with out breaking the bank.

Always a good idea to cleanse yourself of cheese before putting in penis
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:16 pm

robelgordo wrote:

We had Paul McGregor, Hook's selections are quite stable comparatively.

Was it Widdop FB, Hunt HB, McInnes HOK... then Dufty comes off the bench and they all move around so he can play FB? Something like that, I've repressed the exact memory.

Also never forget that we let Robson go because McInnes was our HOK, and then moved McInnes to LCK, and then didn't manage to resign McInnes anyway.

I forgot about that Very Happy (looks like 'curious selection decisions' is all relative). It did make Ben Hunt an absolute killer in NRLF for a little while though.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:16 pm

Mulvy wrote:

Look I hope you're right, I started with Carty. I just think expectations should be tempered for those considering bringing him in. I voted yes in the community thread though because even just two scores of 37 and then out of the team completely still makes 100k.

FWIW I agree with you.
    Matterson splitting a mid-role largely with Niukore feels quite a bit different to splitting it with Hopgood.

One scenario is that it just comes down to who puts their hand up higher between Doorey/Carty until Lane is back?
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:17 pm

Trell is in too!
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:18 pm

I'm coming around to the Carty Party btw.

If someone tells me Carty has got a new hat, I'm all in.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:26 pm

robelgordo wrote:I'm coming around to the Carty Party btw.

If someone tells me Carty has got a new hat, I'm all in.

Pretty sure he's working on a new line of merch for this particular party...it'll have a nautical theme

'Carty Party 3 :  All at Sea'

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:18 am