NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 80 - Oprah level red dots

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 80 - Oprah level red dots - Page 44 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 80 - Oprah level red dots

Post by my tv broke Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:28 am

Milchcow wrote:

I think there are fans that will be annoyed that what should be a marquee fixture (with the minor premiershipon the line) of Broncos VS Storm has been reduced to a training run.

Surely only a few people that would feel this way, maybe if you had tickets to the game already.

People in my circles all think its a good idea.

Quick scroll of the comments on the Broncos team list announcement (yes, i went there, yuck) suggests the same.

Most Broncos fans are probably just pumped to be in a position to be able to rest players for the first time in a while.

Crowd figure tomorrow night will be reasonably interesting.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 80 - Oprah level red dots - Page 44 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 80 - Oprah level red dots

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:59 am

TV audience will be interesting too
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:07 am

Most fans won't give two shits about restings I'd say and the only way the clubs/NRL will care is if it has a negative impact on their gate/viewing numbers.

The only ones who will be really annoyed about it are a bunch of dorks playing a made up game for SFA prize money (but lots of kudos among other dorks) Very Happy

From a personal point of view who would have thunk that Newcastle would have been in a position to rest players five weeks ago???
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:15 am

Aardvark wrote:Most fans won't give two shits about restings I'd say and the only way the clubs/NRL will care is if it has a negative impact on their gate/viewing numbers.

See I’m not convinced about the first part of this statement

Most fans who are logging onto Broncos forums, watching multiple games a week on Kayo already, won’t give a shit

But that isn’t actually most of the audience

The second part is interesting - let’s see how Thurs night footy on Ch9 does I guess. That relies on a bunch of neutral watchers who may/may not be turned off by a top 4 match becoming a glorified training run chock full of reserve graders they’ve never heard of
    SaveTheCheerleader
    SaveTheCheerleader

Post by SaveTheCheerleader Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:21 am

With one trade left, what MID or EDGE do we bring in to ton up?
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:23 am

SaveTheCheerleader wrote:With one trade left, what MID or EDGE do we bring in to ton up?

Assuming you got Fifita, then maybe Tino? Or Tapine? Try and pick the one that will score a try or two Smile
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:27 am

I must be one of the only guys to love this season.

Like yeah this last round has sucked but it's sucked for everyone which is great. I have a few mates who one has been decimated with no trades the last few weeks
    Another who has both trades this week and last week.

I think the 8 extra trades are perfectly placed for one casuals who just burn through their trades and for us who save trades leading up to those 8 as well.

Only thing would make it better would be unlimited trades this week to build out a stacked team with the cash you have made.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:31 am

robelgordo wrote:

See I’m not convinced about the first part of this statement

Most fans who are logging onto Broncos forums, watching multiple games a week on Kayo already, won’t give a shit

But that isn’t actually most of the audience

The second part is interesting - let’s see how Thurs night footy on Ch9 does I guess. That relies on a bunch of neutral watchers who may/may not be turned off by a top 4 match becoming a glorified training run chock full of reserve graders they’ve never heard of

Should have qualified that slightly to read 'most fans of the teams involved' rather than NRL fans generally. Just from a few casual conversations at my local cafe this morning, which is a bastion of Bronco's support, people are excited about being in a position to rest players and care about the finals series rather than the MP (as a football fan this still grinds my gears slightly).

My feeling is that it won't impact the gates much but it could have an impact on TV audiences, which is where people who are NRL fans but maybe not diehard supporters of the teams playing become involved. The scale of this impact will probs dictate how the NRL will feel about it but, from the looks of it, they have adopted an 'ignore it and carry on' approach.

Despite introducing a bye round before the finals, last round resting still happens in the AFL, particularly for teams playing away.
    Welsh Mafia
    Welsh Mafia

Post by Welsh Mafia Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:34 am

Rabbits21 wrote:McInnes or Cook for Mixer?

Cook could be in for a big one we must win. McInnes as we know a ppm beast.

TU Cook
    TD McInnes

Back your boy mate
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:52 am

After the initial devastation of being knocked down to only 12 players this week, I've bounced back to mostly feeling okay about everything and don't see any major need to change anything.

I do feel very sorry for Booze and Ando who both have been hit hard and face genuine consequences from all the player-outs.

I was hoping I could hold on for a top 10 finish, but I think that's pretty much gone, now it's probably a question of where I end up in the top 50, so can't be too unhappy with the season and plenty more learnings to take away.

Here's a couple;
    44 trades are a lot, but with 6 major+minor byes, injuries and end-of-game strategy, there are no spares to waste frivolously.

You can't generally plan for injuries/suspensions (although some players seem more predisposed than others), but you can mitigate their impact by being very prudent with what POD players you go for.
    High-ownership players cause less impact (in both directions) because most are in the same boat.

When the season is heading to its inevitable close, be careful with likely top 4 teams - they are the most in position to rest players and the most likely to do it to have a crack at the premiership.
    If you're looking for a low ownership advantage then going for a Tino Fa'asuamaleaui over Payne Haas is maybe a better angle to run than going Cam Munster over Daly Cherry-Evans (as an example)

Maybe the team that has the R26 bye is the safest of all? - hard to say given the Bunnies need to win, but if they didn't, would they sit players out for two weeks in a row?
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:58 am

rhinoceroo wrote:It may be reactive, but wouldn't be massively surprised to see R27 classed as a 13-player bye-style round next year. Has the advantage to fanhub of being a piss easy change to make.

Jele wrote:

Doesn’t really make a difference though? Other than make us feel better (and penalise those who managed to scrape together more than 13)?

Aardvark wrote:

This is probably the solution.

RandomSil wrote:I must be one of the only guys to love this season.

Like yeah this last round has sucked but it's sucked for everyone which is great. I have a few mates who one has been decimated with no trades the last few weeks
    Another who has both trades this week and last week.

I think the 8 extra trades are perfectly placed for one casuals who just burn through their trades and for us who save trades leading up to those 8 as well.

Only thing would make it better would be unlimited trades this week to build out a stacked team with the cash you have made.

I'm with  Random here.  I like that it's hard.  With 200k players need to sort the wheat from the chaff. It's carnage,  but everyone's in the same boat.  Next year if I want more trades,  maybe I won't trade Cleary out in rd3 and back in again two weeks later Embarassed  That said,  an extra bench spot or two would be ideal.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:01 am

I agree with just 'keep it as is' for next season. Don't need to go messing with the game every year. I agree, its been fun.

It really does suck for Booze (skelton to be the hero), but as for my team and everyone else not in contention for top spot, its pretty funny to watch.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:01 am

BCT05 wrote:

Wow I've never played SuperCoach or even looked into it, didn't realise first prize was that big. Should probably get involved next year.

I love NRL Fantasy, but SuperCoach isn't bad (it's got a different vibe to it for sure).

Last year was my rookie year and finished around 2,400th.
    This year I'm 379th but have just lost: Grant, Haas, AFB, Bateman, Harris, Munster, Ponga, Gagai, CNK (and Hopgood) to go with Garrick, VTW and Kiraz last week - absolutely torched.

Nevertheless, while I don't feel like an expert at it, I feel like I get the game well enough now to have a genuine crack at it next year.
    And more importantly, I think it's probably indirectly improved me as an NRL Fantasy player, so yeah, worth having a lazy go at IMO.

mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:07 am

SaveTheCheerleader wrote:With one trade left, what MID or EDGE do we bring in to ton up?
    Murray
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:25 am

my tv broke wrote:I agree with just 'keep it as is' for next season. Don't need to go messing with the game every year. I agree, its been fun.

It really does suck for Booze (skelton to be the hero), but as for my team and everyone else not in contention for top spot, its pretty funny to watch.

I also agree

NRL might have to do something about restings because of $$$ reasons, but for fantasy nothing needs to change IMO. Balance felt right with # trades this year. More squad would be nice or some scoring tweaks (OFH looking at you) but that's not a huge deal.

Last round ambush is what it is - not convinced having a bye-round style 13 helps, because you'd have to predict positions anyway. Could have 13+ green dots and still only play 10ish. I'd rather have 13+ green dots in a 17

If you have a trade left have some Boozecluez approved fun. Just looked, last season I gambled on Ikavalu (!), this year it'll be Hunt.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:31 am

Yeah, I'm just pissed I'll probably drop out of the top 100 & top 15 of the FOG (having picked Newcastle players to avoid restings) Very Happy but what can you do? Have already wrapped up a few H2H wins and a cash league so it could have been worse.

Probably just hold a few more trades next year and really think about the players I'm trading in from round 22/23. Made a bunch of sideways moves during the byes I probably shouldn't have.

Lessons for next year.
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 am

my tv broke wrote:

Surely only a few people that would feel this way, maybe if you had tickets to the game already.

People in my circles all think its a good idea.

Quick scroll of the comments on the Broncos team list announcement (yes, i went there, yuck) suggests the same.

Most Broncos fans are probably just pumped to be in a position to be able to rest players for the first time in a while.

Crowd figure tomorrow night will be reasonably interesting.

I was gonna head along to the Warriors vs Dolphins game if it had been full strength teams. Don't think I can be bothered since we're resting SJ, AFB, Tohu et al. No doubt others will be in the same boat, will be interesting to see.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 am

The NRL doesn't seem to care too much about teams resting players, or at very least isn't in a position to whinge too much about it to the clubs. They already schedule six weeks of disrupted NRL due to origin every year.
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:04 am

I'm half tempted to captain Marzhew with his....ahem....good matchup against the Dragons.

More seriously, I think captain Murray is a good call. Playing in the only game that actually matters with full strength teams (arguably Panthers v Cowboys too I guess?). He's zero chance of being a late resting and you'd think he's odds on to play massive minutes, probably even 80 in a must win game if it's close - that's more than you can say of most captaincy options.
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:06 am

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:A Papenhuyzen hatty would be a perfect end to the season for him

No, no it wouldn’t….. we want his price as low as possible to start 2024….

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:44 am