NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in

multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in - Page 41 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:29 pm

robelgordo wrote:

I don't do it, can't even look at this seriously until 2nd week of trials when you get a real idea of what teams are likely to be.

I normally go in on opening day and pick a team about 1 mil under the cap with a few of the players I think are under valued then don't touch it again until trials start
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in - Page 41 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in

Post by Bethany_B Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:02 pm

Aardvark wrote:Making a team now is fun for some people (I get it, I really do...it's fun to speak shit about something you enjoy) but it doesn't really serve much practical purpose other than maybe show you that you can't afford a shitload of guns and that some of the guys you liked last year have been priced out of the running this year.

There is also lots of 'training the house down' guff which muddies the water on potential base price players which are an essential building block of any 'keeper' fantasy team.

2nd week of the trials you start to get an indication of who will get a run and who won't and you can start having a serious crack. Until then it's all annoying quips and 'forum colour' from me Wink

I'm only doing it because I have nothing better to do at the moment, I know full well the team I make now will likely bear very little resemblance to what I end up running with in round 1.
    ShadowSabre
    ShadowSabre

Post by ShadowSabre Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:18 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/01/01/nrl-casualty-ward-latest-injury-news-return-dates-and-details/

Reynolds looking in strife

Footage doesnt look great for him (Despite being fairly grainy)
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:45 pm

I love it how in the above casualty ward, both Wighton and JWH are listed as "suspension, early rounds"

Showing that even the NRL's official injury list doesn't know how the fuck suspensions work in the off-season
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:17 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    I love it how in the above casualty ward, both Wighton and JWH are listed as "suspension, early rounds"

Showing that even the NRL's official injury list doesn't know how the fuck suspensions work in the off-season

Due to pending exemptions for All Stars and Pacific Championships

Wighton confirmed All Stars will count as 1 game for him so is available R3

But yes, sort your shit out NRL
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:06 pm

Camo123 wrote:

Due to pending exemptions for All Stars and Pacific Championships

Wighton confirmed All Stars will count as 1 game for him so is available R3

But yes, sort your shit out NRL

Would just be easier if NRL suspensions worked for NRL only. Origin and internationals it seems anyone within the top 30-40 likely to be selected counts as a game, maybe they could have their own separate judicial universes instead. All stars shouldn't count IMO. Trials should definitely not count.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:09 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

I normally go in on opening day and pick a team about 1 mil under the cap with a few of the players I think are under valued then don't touch it again until trials start

I touch it a few times a week.
    Haven't tinkered with my fantasy team much yet though.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:10 pm

robelgordo wrote:

Would just be easier if NRL suspensions worked for NRL only. Origin and internationals it seems anyone within the top 30-40 likely to be selected counts as a game, maybe they could have their own separate judicial universes instead. All stars shouldn't count IMO. Trials should definitely not count.

The issue with this is say someone was a bolter and only played 1 Origin and international game and ended up doing a horrific tackle they’d be available for next NRL game
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:24 pm

Suspensions and when they should or shouldnt count is a fabric of the game
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:50 pm

The only fair way to do suspensions is retroactively.

If a player is suspended for a match, then their statistical contribution for the preceding match is degraded to that over a lower-quartile player. So, a player in the top 25% has their tackle counts, run metres, offloads, linebreaks etc and the associated points contribution of these (both in offense and defense) degraded to match those of an average player in the 50-75% bracket. Then the match scores are updated accordingly, results changed and ladders shifted.

Fairly uncontroversial and very fair.

It would mean it'd take a few weeks until you were really sure of a matches' results, but that just provides an incentive for fair play for winning teams, and an incentive for dirty play for losing teams.

Which would be awesome to watch.

I'll draft it and send to Vlandys this afternoon. Anyone up for co-signing?
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:21 pm

Interesting, addendum to whoever it was promoted Sivo as a POD. During Brown's suspension last year, Sivo averaged 16@0.2 tries per game, compared to 36@1.3 tries per game when he was playing.

Similarly, "without" Lane 26@0.6 tries per game compared to "with" 37@1.4 tries per game.

Maybe without playing Handsy, Brown can play more games and Lane and Sivo can see a sizeable jump in their scores
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:30 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:Interesting, addendum to whoever it was promoted Sivo as a POD. During Brown's suspension last year, Sivo averaged 16@0.2 tries per game, compared to 36@1.3 tries per game when he was playing.

Similarly, "without" Lane 26@0.6 tries per game compared to "with" 37@1.4 tries per game.

Maybe without playing Handsy, Brown can play more games and Lane and Sivo can see a sizeable jump in their scores

Don’t give away the golden Moses Lane Sivo trifecta plz
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:47 pm

ShadowSabre wrote:https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/01/01/nrl-casualty-ward-latest-injury-news-return-dates-and-details/

Reynolds looking in strife

Footage doesnt look great for him (Despite being fairly grainy)

Broncos update

He had a scan this afternoon at the Qscan Clive Berghofer Centre facility which showed a foot muscle strain."

"We'll see how Adam pulls up over the next 24 hours but he is a quick healer and we expect him to be back running in the coming days."
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:33 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:Interesting, addendum to whoever it was promoted Sivo as a POD. During Brown's suspension last year, Sivo averaged 16@0.2 tries per game, compared to 36@1.3 tries per game when he was playing.

Problem is that Sivo is priced at 31, so at best he's 6 points of value. I don't hate it if we get literally no cheapies but I'm not convinced.

I would rather pay 50k more for Bailey Simonsson (only if he plays centre, if he's on the wing then hard pass) who has CTR/WFB dual and would be on that same loaded left side.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:56 pm

Bethany_B wrote:

Problem is that Sivo is priced at 31, so at best he's 6 points of value. I don't hate it if we get literally no cheapies but I'm not convinced.

I would rather pay 50k more for Bailey Simonsson (only if he plays centre, if he's on the wing then hard pass) who has CTR/WFB dual and would be on that same loaded left side.

Starting with Sivo wouldn't about his season average. It would be a gamble that you hit the weeks where he scores an 80 then a 50 and jumps a load of cash before you get off whenever the BE tells you to. Eels early schedule doesn't look too bad for this. At the moment Campbell and Papy look more solid picks at similar price but Sivo could be an option for a late switch when team lists drop and one of them isn't on them.

(We know the doubts about Papy but TK podcast this week said that Campbell hasn't started full training yet after a late season injury, and if he isn't right for round one then he misses round two as well with the bye.)

Simonsson I don't mind at all (Brown back and early draw) but again via TK podcast it looks like Harper is leading the race for Eels left centre. Another tick in the "is Brad Arthur nuts?" column.
    Daedalus
    Daedalus

Post by Daedalus Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:04 pm

NRL Physio:

Positive scan results for a few injured veteran halves:

-Adam Reynolds suffered a minor foot muscle strain, expected to resume running later this week

- Shaun Johnson suffered a moderate ankle sprain, may miss a trial or two but in no doubt for Round 1
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:20 pm

Bethany_B wrote:

Most years Sivo has averaged 40 so it is a bit more than that I reckon. Also, Morgan Harper is likely to get selected over Simmonson and he is a bit more pricey
    Alfie
    Alfie

Post by Alfie Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:49 pm

I actually think Morgan Harper will be a good addition for the Eels this year. Always had a very high opinion of him as a Manly fan until that game against Talakai. There’s still a player under that wig.

Definitely not fantasy relevant though
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:08 pm

Alfie wrote:I actually think Morgan Harper will be a good addition for the Eels this year. Always had a very high opinion of him as a Manly fan until that game against Talakai. There’s still a player under that wig.

Definitely not fantasy relevant though

If he was priced the same as Sivo, I would pick him without thinking twice, especially playing on the Brown/Lane/Sivo edge. As it stands he is probably priced at around his average with maybe a small upside

Talakai has had some epic performances this season but none as destructive as the Thursday night in the Shire when he ran for 193 metres, scored two tries and set up two more all in the first half against Manly.

Harper was on the receiving end that night back in round 7, unable to do anything to stop Talakai who bolted into Origin contention after that game.

Coach Des Hasler replaced Harper at halftime and he copped it on social media from people who didn’t know that he’d lost 6kg and spent three days in bed after he contracted Covid a week earlier.

“I’m not going to lie, I was f***ing horrible that night,” Harper said in his first interview since the Cronulla game.

“I can use the Covid excuse because I came back on the Monday … but at the end of the day, I didn’t perform.

“I don’t really care what people say or anything, it’s more what I know within myself, and I know that wasn’t how I play.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/sea-eagles/im-not-going-to-lie-i-was-fing-horrible-manlys-morgan-harper-reflects-on-horror-performance/news-story/b33f049c9b70f4a94807a38e634c89d4
    Alfie
    Alfie

Post by Alfie Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:46 pm

Ooft, missed the 6kg part back then; only heard about the COVID

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:03 am