NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in

Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in - Page 40 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in

Post by Milchcow Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:55 am

Camo123 wrote:

Isn’t that the point of preseason reviewing averages in the expectation of position and mins they’ll play to find value

E.g. I’m not looking at any of Schuster scores from 2023 because he’s expected to play EDG and not HLF. Nor am I expecting someone to get injured multiple times a season when they haven’t really been injury prone

Yes, but Cheese's role hasn't changed from last year to this year, so if you find yourself discarding a third of his scores, you have to ask yourself why. How many of his poor scores can you attribute to injury

I might still start with him, I haven't actually looked at building a team yet this year. But he certainly won't be my only hooker if I do pick him. He certainly can score well, but he also is very capable of low fantasy output
    GreenSchist
    GreenSchist

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in - Page 40 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 1 - Gates are open, come on in

Post by GreenSchist Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:32 am

Milchcow wrote:

Yes, but Cheese's role hasn't changed from last year to this year, so if you find yourself discarding a third of his scores, you have to ask yourself why. How many of his poor scores can you attribute to injury

I might still start with him, I haven't actually looked at building a team yet this year. But he certainly won't be my only hooker if I do pick him. He certainly can score well, but he also is very capable of low fantasy output

Good call on not drafting any lineups yet, I'd hold out for as long as possible. There's only so much playing around you can do at this stage of the pre season when valuable and reliable information is limited, and there's still more than three weeks until pre season games start. It's a bit like Pandora's box. Don't open it!

Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 am

L-Jimmy wrote:

That's the risk, yep!

Well yeah but we'll know that when TLT happens. If he's named to start on the edge then he's a buy, if not then he isn't.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:49 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

I will redo the prediction based on all the feedback.

Paulo - 50
    Lussick/Hands - 80
    Campbell Gillard - 50
    Cartwright - 80
    Lane - 70
    Hopgood - 60

Matterson - 50
    Ofahengaue - 20
    Tuilagi - 20
    Grieg - 0

If Ofahengaue, Tuilagi or Grieg are to spend any decent time on the field, someone is missing out on minutes on the EDG

Just noting that both RCG and Paulo as starting props averaged 55 mins and there's no reason to suggest this drops.
    As already suggested BA prefers his edges to play 80, but we'll leave a 70 minute there anyhow
    Matterson averaged 52 off the bench last year, but 6 out of 9 were 52 or more minutes
    And let's believe Arthur about an 80 min hooker and an 80 min Hopgood;

Paulo - 55
    Lussick/Hands - 80
    Campbell Gillard - 55
    Cartwright - 80
    Lane - 70
    Hopgood - 80

Matterson - 52
    Ofahengaue - 8
    Tuilagi - 0
    Grieg - 0

I think this fairly well highlights the problem...
    How many NRL games can he play with essentially just 14 men and some injury cover?
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 pm

Milchcow wrote:

I was imagining that I'd probably have him, but having a look through his numbers last year & getting rid of a couple of injury games (because they never happen haha), he seems like a low 40s guy from low 60s minutes.

Where he looks value is IF he plays as a near 80 minute hooker.
    Robinsons management of him last year didn't really suggest this with any certainty. Although 5/7 last regular season games were 66+ minutes, 3 of which in the 70s.

That's what I think we'd want, but the killer for me is Robinson has always been good for tanking potentially fantasy relevant forwards with a random sub 40 min effort.

This seemed true for 2 of those last 7 games with a 47 and a 35 minute game.
    It's a risk with limited upside imo, and I certainly wouldn't want to run him as my only hooker (he'd have to be a #14) if he's even worth the investment.
    Fairly decent bye schedule though
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:20 pm

I agree about Smith having limited upside, yet the same could be said for almost all the HOK options this year [except for an 80-minute Lussick]

The safest option appears to be Tanah Boyd - priced slightly below what he is worth - goal kicking half from a team that should score a lot of points this year - and somehow despite playing every single game at HLF last year is still DPP.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:24 pm

Happy New Fantasy year all! Currently, I know a lot will change before round 0, I can go three of Haas, Hopgood. Hynes, and Cleary. Which one misses out?
    Alfie
    Alfie

Post by Alfie Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:24 pm

Milchcow wrote:

How are you able to resist making a team? Is it possible to learn this power?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:25 pm

my tv broke wrote:I can see myself picking Cheese again.

Despite saying this i dont see any reason for BS9 to become an 80 minute hooker.

More value to the team going at 100% for 60 mins, than conserving energy for 80.
    Alfie
    Alfie

Post by Alfie Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 pm

easytiger wrote:

Just noting that both RCG and Paulo as starting props averaged 55 mins and there's no reason to suggest this drops.
    As already suggested BA prefers his edges to play 80, but we'll leave a 70 minute there anyhow
    Matterson averaged 52 off the bench last year, but 6 out of 9 were 52 or more minutes
    And let's believe Arthur about an 80 min hooker and an 80 min Hopgood;

Paulo - 55
    Lussick/Hands - 80
    Campbell Gillard - 55
    Cartwright - 80
    Lane - 70
    Hopgood - 80

Matterson - 52
    Ofahengaue - 8
    Tuilagi - 0
    Grieg - 0

I think this fairly well highlights the problem...
    How many NRL games can he play with essentially just 14 men and some injury cover?

SPOILER:
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:34 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:I agree about Smith having limited upside, yet the same could be said for almost all the HOK options this year [except for an 80-minute Lussick]

The safest option appears to be Tanah Boyd - priced slightly below what he is worth - goal kicking half from a team that should score a lot of points this year - and somehow despite playing every single game at HLF last year is still DPP.

This and the Hopgood DPP just shows they basically did a roll forward, no database updates.

Plus Kiraz isn't DPP until he gets picked at CTR R1.

Sure there's a lot of examples of this.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:35 pm

Alfie wrote:

I don't do it, can't even look at this seriously until 2nd week of trials when you get a real idea of what teams are likely to be.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:36 pm

Talking about Cheese pre-season, I thought it was 2024 now?!
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:49 pm

robelgordo wrote:

I don't do it, can't even look at this seriously until 2nd week of trials when you get a real idea of what teams are likely to be.

There’s a positive to early research, I’ve started strong each year but tailed off around Origin as I miss clear underpriced guns recently

But of course there’s a weakness of decision paralysis of cycling through every single player
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:52 pm

easytiger wrote:

I was imagining that I'd probably have him, but having a look through his numbers last year & getting rid of a couple of injury games (because they never happen haha), he seems like a low 40s guy from low 60s minutes.

Robinsons management of him last year didn't really suggest this with any certainty. Although 5/7 last regular season games were 66+ minutes,  3 of which in the 70s.

That's what I think we'd want, but the killer for me is Robinson has always been good for tanking potentially fantasy relevant forwards with a random sub 40 min effort.

It's a risk with limited upside imo, and I certainly wouldn't want to run him as my only hooker (he'd have to be a #14) if he's even worth the investment.

Final cheese post Laughing

I wouldn’t really say his injuries are recurring injuries to be scared of. Rib soreness, Broken hand in 2023. Broken thumb in 2022.

It’s not like they’re muscle injuries like Brimson/Turbo hamstrings

Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:06 pm

Making a team now is fun for some people (I get it, I really do...it's fun to speak shit about something you enjoy) but it doesn't really serve much practical purpose other than maybe show you that you can't afford a shitload of guns and that some of the guys you liked last year have been priced out of the running this year.

There is also lots of 'training the house down' guff which muddies the water on potential base price players which are an essential building block of any 'keeper' fantasy team.

2nd week of the trials you start to get an indication of who will get a run and who won't and you can start having a serious crack. Until then it's all annoying quips and 'forum colour' from me Wink
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:12 pm

I used to make squads in early pre season, but i think it clouds your thinking more than anything.

Last year i didnt create  a squad until TLT. Went ok. Same this year i'd say.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:26 pm

Camo123 wrote:

Final cheese post  Laughing

I wouldn’t really say his injuries are recurring injuries to be scared of. Rib soreness, Broken hand in 2023. Broken thumb in 2022.

It’s not like they’re muscle injuries like Brimson/Turbo hamstrings

You are forgetting the times he broke his fingernail, and his hair got messed up...

Of course, jest. But the thing with Brandon is that he is effective because he has no consideration for breaking a hand, jaw, or having sore ribs. high scoring for a week or two leads almost directly to an injury that requires some easing off.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:27 pm

Alfie wrote:

Created a team early, because sometimes they use team creation date as a tie-breaker. Its just auto-filled though

Until we start getting some trial team lists, don't think its worth getting too excited about value players who might just end up out of the 17 anyway. It doesn't take too long to work out who the viable players are once it gets close to actually making a team
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:27 pm

easytiger wrote:

Robinsons management of him last year didn't really suggest this with any certainty. Although 5/7 last regular season games were 66+ minutes,  3 of which in the 70s.

Watson is also a much better player than Turpin and his play style is ideal to come on with spark around the ruck. I expect he will play 40-50 minutes between hooker and lock spelling both Radley and Smith

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:15 am