NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

mattnz
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

Post by mattnz Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:48 am

Mulvy wrote:

I didn't realise how cheap Knight was. He would definitely need to be starting though, see how trials go. RFM would be starting edge, no? He doesn't have a lot of competition there, and he has historically scored better there in fantasy. I think Cheese is about 5 points undervalued which puts him in the awkward area of not being a keeper but not making enough money to be a cash cow. There are worse picks and he can plod all the way up to the big byes without a bye. I still prefer Brailey despite talk of time share with Crossland. I think that is probably overstated, Brailey may be a slow burn at first, but has a much higher ceiling than Cheese. I mentioned before about Smithies missed tackles in super league, and I suspect it will primarily be a bench role for him anyway.

The key argument against Brailey is 1st year back from ACL, performance tends to be lower than pre-ACL.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:52 am

Milchcow wrote:

Speaking of Sam Walker and tries/goals, is he going to be first choice goalkicker again?

Suaalii kept kicking for a few weeks after Walker's return, but Walker got it back in finals - his for good?

Similar question with Papenhuyzen/Meaney at the Storm. Is Meaney keeping the job or will Papi get it back

One for trials...

Other GK questions include Flanagan or Lomax at Dragons and Crichton or Burton at Bulldogs.

On the second one, Crichton is imo a noticeably better goalkicker than Burton and kicked ahead of him for the Panthers in 21 when both were playing but Cleary was out. Does seem like Burton is pretty indulged at the Dogs though. But if Crichton actually is a goalkicking fullback, he comes into the gun centre conversation too.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:52 am

Walker is young and could improve his stats. Maybe. But in 2022 he averaged 42.2 whilst full time goal kicker. Last year he averaged 49.8 even with a decent try scoring rate. Seems to be priced where he will score? Adding GK for the last couple of games only improves his average a point or two. Fogarty is a goal kicking half back who is cheaper and has averaged higher in the past and will be alongside a much less dominant half.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:00 am

Mulvy wrote:Walker is young and could improve his stats. Maybe. But in 2022 he averaged 42.2 whilst full time goal kicker. Last year he averaged 49.8 even with a decent try scoring rate. Seems to be priced where he will score? Adding GK for the last couple of games only improves his average a point or two. Fogarty is a goal kicking half back who is cheaper and has averaged higher in the past and will be alongside a much less dominant half.

In, it really has to be said, what's likely to be a much lower scoring team.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:04 am

Mulvy wrote:

I didn't realise how cheap Knight was. He would definitely need to be starting though, see how trials go. RFM would be starting edge, no? He doesn't have a lot of competition there, and he has historically scored better there in fantasy. I think Cheese is about 5 points undervalued which puts him in the awkward area of not being a keeper but not making enough money to be a cash cow. There are worse picks and he can plod all the way up to the big byes without a bye. I still prefer Brailey despite talk of time share with Crossland. I think that is probably overstated, Brailey may be a slow burn at first, but has a much higher ceiling than Cheese. I mentioned before about Smithies missed tackles in super league, and I suspect it will primarily be a bench role for him anyway.

You'd imagine RFM grabs an edge spot.
    Flanagan seems pretty high on Dylan Egan, who like Connor Muhleisen is available as a development player and seems to be an outside chance of being a bolter (started in their recent scrimmage with Manly) - no doubt everyone would probably grab if named.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:05 am

mattnz wrote:

The key argument against Brailey is 1st year back from ACL, performance tends to be lower than pre-ACL.

I agree, but that is more important for backs/edges who rely on speed/agility. Brailey makes tackles in the middle of field to make all of his points. When Andrew McCullough came back from ACL, they eased him back with 47 minutes for 39 points, which he then proceeded to follow with scores of 69, 65, 64, 62 in 80 minutes. McCullough also had surgery in July I think, Brailey did his in April, so a significantly longer recovery period.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:06 am

mattnz wrote:

Although that tends to be more apparent in positions that require more explosive leg speed than tackle bot hookers...
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:21 am

Alfie wrote:

Hynes actually kicked further with Trindall next to him I was surprised to read (thanks MTB). Averaged 3 points less but that was largely thanks to the 34 he scored in the 28-0 shutout courtesy of the Panthers.

Has my previous post been debunked??

Mulvy wrote:I wonder if we should be concerned about the departure of Matt Moylan from the Sharks, affecting Hynes scoring. Is Trindall the likely replacement? Hynes and Trindall played the last six games together last year which gives a bit to go on. KMs would be the main concern.

Earlier in the year Hynes was kicking 440 KMs per game, compared with 295KMs in the last six games when he was along side Trindall (a decrease of 145kms). In those last six games, Trindall averaged 233KMs compared to Moylan who averaged 74KMs (an increase of 159kms).

If these numbers ring true, Trindall at five-eighth could be the direct cause of about a five point decrease in scoring for Hynes. I can't quite remember, but Hynes might have been carrying a strain of some sort, so this may all be over blown.

But, that's just KMs. Would he affect playmaking more or less than Moylan? It might not affect Hynes that much, but it's a risk, and when you pay for the most expensive player in fantasy, you expect top of the range scores. I also don't expect Trindall to take the goal kicking away from Hynes, but if I remember correctly, Hynes had a pretty unhappy stretch for a while there with the boot, so it's always a risk as well.

I was tempted to run with both Cleary and Hynes, but it's a lot of cap, and with the above possible risks, thinking I'll just run Cleary.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:36 am

rhinoceroo wrote:Nobody mentioning Holmes as a gun centre? Probably priced realistically but goalkicking stud for a team with an easy schedule and no byes until Origin (when you'll have to sell him).

Stinks to shell out so much on a centre playing centre but best of the high end options imo.

I mentioned him.

Mulvy wrote:Yeah make a full team and change them as many times as you want to be safe.

Also, all you bastards are pushing me towards a gun centre. I don't want a gun centre. But if I do, I want Val Holmes. Gotta be a Cowboy for me to cheer for if I am to entertain this craziness.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:39 am

A lot of people have me on block. Understandable.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:43 am

Mulvy wrote:A lot of people have me on block. Understandable.

i think a few have me on block too sometimes i go off track so also understandable
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:44 am

rhinoceroo wrote:
    Milchcow wrote:

Speaking of Sam Walker and tries/goals, is he going to be first choice goalkicker again?

Suaalii kept kicking for a few weeks after Walker's return, but Walker got it back in finals - his for good?

Similar question with Papenhuyzen/Meaney at the Storm. Is Meaney keeping the job or will Papi get it back

One for trials...

Other GK questions include Flanagan or Lomax at Dragons and Crichton or Burton at Bulldogs.

On the second one, Crichton is imo a noticeably better goalkicker than Burton and kicked ahead of him for the Panthers in 21 when both were playing but Cleary was out. Does seem like Burton is pretty indulged at the Dogs though. But if Crichton actually is a goalkicking fullback, he comes into the gun centre conversation too.

It is one for trials. But if, hypothetically, you were setting the goalkicker status for nearlysport.com and had to make a decision before any trials had been played for the site to open - which way would you lean
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:46 am

White Lightning wrote:

i think a few have me on block too sometimes i go off track so also understandable

Who said that? Very Happy
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:52 am

Mulvy wrote:

I agree, but that is more important for backs/edges who rely on speed/agility. Brailey makes tackles in the middle of field to make all of his points. When Andrew McCullough came back from ACL, they eased him back with 47 minutes for 39 points, which he then proceeded to follow with scores of 69, 65, 64, 62 in 80 minutes. McCullough also had surgery in July I think, Brailey did his in April, so a significantly longer recovery period.

An even better example for Brailey than McCullough, is Brailey himself in his first year back from ACL in 2021.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:52 am

Mulvy wrote:

Who said that? Very Happy

yes very surprising isn't it Dance
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:01 am

Milchcow wrote:

It is one for trials. But if, hypothetically, you were setting the goalkicker status for nearlysport.com and had to make a decision before any trials had been played for the site to open - which way would you lean

Walker (because Suallii may well not play)
    Papenhuyzen (because you'd love to see it)
    Lomax (until he misses two in a row then it's over to the coach's lad)
    Burton (because the Bulldogs make bad decisions)
    Tall_man
    Tall_man

Post by Tall_man Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:06 am

Milchcow wrote:

Consensus amongst roosters fans atm is that Suaalii won't even make the team. Apparently Billy Smith has been most improved in pre-season and Robbo loves him. Can't see Toops getting dropped. Teddy, Joey and Dom pick themselves. I think even if he makes the team Walker probably kicks. Robbo was really persistent with him as a kicker even when he started and his kicks didn't reach the goal posts. I think he's seen as the long term kicker and they're happy to lose a couple of points to give him kicking experience.

All just opinion of course so take with a grain of salt.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:25 am

Thinking about Haas vs JDB. Haas probably priced where he scores, JDB possibly a little value due to two games off the bench and his injury game. Haas has good byes for someone who will play origin, JDB byes even better given that he won't play origin.

A couple of concerns. New coach for the Dragon's, small possibility that he messes around with JDB's role. And Haas has a much higher ceiling. A couple of ceiling games to start the season could have you regretting *fading him.

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 23 Parents-cool-dad
    Alfie
    Alfie

Post by Alfie Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:25 am

Mulvy wrote:

Has my previous post been debunked??

Nah you’re good, Mulvy. Camo pointed out that on MTB’s site, when you toggle Hynes scores to ‘with Trindall’, it includes the games Trindall was on the bench and 18th man/replacement player. Hynes actually lost 3 points of in-play kicking on average with Trindall next to him compared to without.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:27 am

my take on suaali is if you're the roosters & you know he's going to union in 2025 then you make the choice on if you need to play him. you're probably going to prefer the players who are staying. it's not as if suaali is elite smith for example played just as good as suaali.

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:04 pm