NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 20 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:09 pm

Shameless self-plug - I wrote this reflecting on 2023 season after everyone left. Not too long, hopefully some ok insights/food for thought. Might remind you about some of your own process and decisions to repeat or avoid.

https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2335-2023-season-retro-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-overachieved-to-82nd

It also shows you can start bad, miss cows, waste trades on bye shenanigans and still hit the magical 15m and make the top 100.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 20 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes

Post by Camo123 Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:09 pm

robelgordo wrote:Looking at Matt’s post is more research than I’ve done this season. Good post thanks.

So obviously haven’t looked at stuff properly but Ponga definitely seems like value. I know people get wary about starting the season with guns at outside back positions, but he’s very underpriced. Hynes I was keen because Cleary + Hynes are so far ahead but maybe Trindall nerfs him a bit and of course if there value in the halves elsewhere he might have to go. Haas can be easily faded IMO. Even if he is the best MID, so many gun MIDs that’ll only be 1-5 pts per week behind him. Better to try and grab the one you think is undervalued.

The others also like clear no value picks, traps, or vert TLT dependent. I must admit Campbell I’m just adverse to because he seems so overrated, but after swerving Miller last year I should probably learn my lesson and grab the bad FB but good fantasy WFB option.

Ponga got priced up to 55 so he’s basically priced at his career FB average unless you expect him to go on a similar run like last year
    Alfie
    Alfie

Post by Alfie Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:14 pm

robelgordo wrote:Looking at Matt’s post is more research than I’ve done this season. Good post thanks.

So obviously haven’t looked at stuff properly but Ponga definitely seems like value. I know people get wary about starting the season with guns at outside back positions, but he’s very underpriced. Hynes I was keen because Cleary + Hynes are so far ahead but maybe Trindall nerfs him a bit and of course if there value in the halves elsewhere he might have to go. Haas can be easily faded IMO. Even if he is the best MID, so many gun MIDs that’ll only be 1-5 pts per week behind him. Better to try and grab the one you think is undervalued.

The others also like clear no value picks, traps, or vert TLT dependent. I must admit Campbell I’m just adverse to because he seems so overrated, but after swerving Miller last year I should probably learn my lesson and grab the bad FB but good fantasy WFB option.

Hynes actually kicked further with Trindall next to him I was surprised to read (thanks MTB). Averaged 3 points less but that was largely thanks to the 34 he scored in the 28-0 shutout courtesy of the Panthers.
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:18 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Wash your mouth out Wong is twice the player Garner is. Best comparison is actually a team mate Egan Butcher. Lots of competition for the spots and despite talent could easily find himself on the bench after a couple of average performances

How dare you insinuate Egan Butcher has talent Very Happy

But yeah Wong has the talent, but he could fade into obscurity
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:19 pm

Alfie wrote:

Hynes actually kicked further with Trindall next to him I was surprised to read (thanks MTB). Averaged 3 points less but that was largely thanks to the 34 he scored in the 28-0 shutout courtesy of the Panthers.

If you search Footystats on Hynes with Trindall it includes games where Trindall was on bench or 18th man and not half partner (more accurate search is Hynes with/without Moylan)
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:20 pm

Alfie wrote:

Well shut up and take my money then.

The kind of thing I would eventually figure out before R1 but good to have the early good oil
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:20 pm

Camo123 wrote:

If you search Footystats on Hynes with Trindall it includes games where Trindall was on bench or 18th man and not half partner (more accurate search is Hynes with/without Moylan)

Give me my money back then
    The Bludger#2
    The Bludger#2

Post by The Bludger#2 Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:28 pm

ynot wrote:
    - Filled out every teams top 17 based on likely team list articles
    - Calculated all players historical PPM and average minutes at that position, if they have no stats I use the positions average.
    - Make sure all the teams minutes are complete by bumping players minutes up or down
    - Generate the projected points which is PPM * Projected Minutes
    - Fix up the projections to make them lean more towards more recent seasons or bump things down a bit if they don't make sense

Kind of a system, with a bit of guess work!

Damn ynot, that's about 50 math equations more than I could or would do in working out which players to fit into my team.
    The Bludger follows the #gutfeel rule.
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:29 pm

There are a lot of mouths to feed when you don't have to worry about how much you pay them
    the_great_wobbler
    the_great_wobbler

Post by the_great_wobbler Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:29 pm

mattnz wrote:

Averages 40 in NRL and Cup.

Would you pick him ahead of RFM, Curran, Crichton / Wong, and Schuster? I am also planning to get Fifita early if possible. Piakura is the least attractive of these options.

He is the guy that just scored a 28 in round 8, that you look at and go, he is now $480k and I need to trade out someone to get in the gun that is a must have, I don't really want to play him in my playing 17 and he is taking too much cash to hold him in reserves. We find ourselves in these situations every season, and they are the first booted out the door, so you never get the full value out of their theoretical upside potential.

Lets look at it another way. If you could have Mariner at $450k to cover the awkward CTR spot, with just as much upside potential as Piakura, instead of a Talau or similar, likely  a 15 point upgrade, or you could have Piakura, which would you choose?

What are your thoughts on centres this year?
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:30 pm

Camo123 wrote:I think there’s a difference between Origin players like Haas/Grant with good bye schedules vs ones with bye schedules like Murray/Teddy that you’re probably forced to sell over Origin. It was one of the things that screwed me last year with fringe players making Origin who all had terrible bye schedules after making Origin (Frizell, Robson, Moses, Walsh, Horsburgh)

Teddy would miss 13, 14, 16, 19. Murray would miss 13, 16, 17, 19

Haas and Grant have 2 byes on the major byes so might get rested outside of that but no forced miss due to bye.

who plays FB Origin for QLD Walsh or
    Ponga?
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:34 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

Ponga?

Both were in the preseason camp

There was no real surprises in NSW or QLD preseason camps with NSW having players that have all debuted and QLD having a few fringe players joining (Hopgood, Fermor).

Interestingly Wighton wasn’t in NSW preseason camp despite him saying he’s open to unretire from rep footy. Must be because he got his goal of a reduced suspension Laughing
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:35 pm

Ponga?

Probably evens one is injured by Origin anyway
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:36 pm

the_great_wobbler wrote:

Hello, is it me you're looking for?

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 2 - We've all been waiting for Weekes - Page 20 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6jZB2g5lXNFsK2TDS4b4fLzSs200BwaJHSg&usqp=CAU
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:48 pm

the_great_wobbler wrote:

I want to find at least 1 subgun POD, or outright gun with potential value. Currently have Sualii as a placeholder (50 average at wing last season).

Kiraz, Mariner, Garrick, HTF, Cobbo, Tago, Simonsson all potential options pending TLT.

Then will look for a base priced player for another spot, but that could be really tricky, especially if Kris doesn't start R1 - Cotric or Strange if named at CTR, could easily miss out when he returns. Iro may not get the spot at Sharks. Don't want a Talau, Naden, HSS scoring player. If Schuster plays R1 as expected, Burbo won't have a spot, but even if he doesn't Schuster probably returns soon after. Could be really slim pickings. Maybe I go 2 guns if necessary.
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:51 pm

Ponga?

I expect both to be in the squad. Can't leave out Ponga on form. Walsh on the bench for impact, or at least makes the 18.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:56 pm

robelgordo wrote:Shameless self-plug - I wrote this reflecting on 2023 season after everyone left. Not too long, hopefully some ok insights/food for thought. Might remind you about some of your own process and decisions to repeat or avoid.

https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t2335-2023-season-retro-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-overachieved-to-82nd

It also shows you can start bad, miss cows, waste trades on bye shenanigans and still hit the magical 15m and make the top 100.

Great post. Why you make a decision is more important than what decision you actually make
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:57 pm

Cobbo and Mariner CTR pairing, what could go wrong?
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:59 pm

mattnz wrote:

I expect both to be in the squad. Can't leave out Ponga on form. Walsh on the bench for impact, or at least makes the 18.

Walsh on the bench doesn't work for QLD. One or the other is how it must be
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:12 pm

Ponga could play 14. Sneaky half if one of the main 2 injured.

Kinda pointless to think about now. Nice problem for Qld though.

NSW I guess will be Teddy or bust. Which is fine but almost certain if he has a bad 1-2 club games they be bit of media about Teddy should be replaced by X*, but can’t be dropped cos he’s captain.

Where X = Edwards, Turbo, or Sloan

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:53 am