NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 4 - A spawning salmon appears

rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 4 - A spawning salmon appears - Page 13 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 4 - A spawning salmon appears

Post by rhinoceroo Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:01 am

mattnz wrote:

I don't recall any fantasy relevant player where their 6th season was their breakout year. Would have happened before now if it was going to happen.

2021 was Tom Turbo's 7th year and he doubled his average from 40 to 80.

Less facetiously, iPap changed clubs in his 5th season and broke out from a high 30s to low 60s player. Not saying that's happening with Leniu but these things can and do happen.
    Dttragic2016
    Dttragic2016

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 4 - A spawning salmon appears - Page 13 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 4 - A spawning salmon appears

Post by Dttragic2016 Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 am

Has there been any talk around Zac Hosking? I haven't heard or seen this mentioned. But IF he starts at 2nd row and Whitehead moves into the middle rotation, I'd love to start with him. Almost definitely going to start with Smithies. Most likely going to go without all the Raiders cheap backs unless there's a quote from Ricky around one of them being given 6 weeks at 5.8th (eg. Weekes).
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:51 am

Dttragic2016 wrote:Has there been any talk around Zac Hosking? I haven't heard or seen this mentioned. But IF he starts at 2nd row and Whitehead moves into the middle rotation, I'd love to start with him. Almost definitely going to start with Smithies. Most likely going to go without all the Raiders cheap backs unless there's a quote from Ricky around one of them being given 6 weeks at 5.8th (eg. Weekes).

I don't think anyone is expecting Hosking to start, so there hasn't been any talk about him, really.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:52 am

mattnz wrote:

I don't recall any fantasy relevant player where their 6th season was their breakout year. Would have happened before now if it was going to happen.

I don't think Leniu will be relevant but there are plenty of examples. Yeo didn't have a fantasy relevant role until his 7th year, bouncing around as a non keeper second rower. Cotter was a bench player/fringe first grader until his 4th year. Shaun Lane had 7 years as a non keeper second rower before breaking out to a 50+ scorer. Mitch Moses didn't hit a 50 average until his 6th season
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:58 am

Dttragic2016 wrote:Has there been any talk around Zac Hosking? I haven't heard or seen this mentioned. But IF he starts at 2nd row and Whitehead moves into the middle rotation, I'd love to start with him. Almost definitely going to start with Smithies. Most likely going to go without all the Raiders cheap backs unless there's a quote from Ricky around one of them being given 6 weeks at 5.8th (eg. Weekes).

I think there is too much value in the Raiders backs to also start with one of their forwards. Hosking might be an independently good choice but with Fogarty, Weekes, Strange, Cotric already a chance at my squad I think it's better to target the other value edges

I do like Hosking though, one of the few with keeper level upside in his price range
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:08 am

Word out is Rapana will start season at Fb, schiller takes ctr spot for rd1.

I assume that means rd1 backline looks like

Rapana
    Savage/cotric
    Schiller
    Timoko
    Weeks
    Fogerty

Potentially, Ricky holds Hoskings on bench as a utility knowing rapana won’t be able to do 80min at full back. Hoskings to ctr, Schiller/savage/cotric to fb.

If Ricky is seriously considering rapana as the fb to start season, I’d say there is a fair chance Kris goes back to fb rd2, rapana back to wing. Which leaves Schiller, hopa, strange to fight out for a ctr position. I’d say they’d be prioritised in that order.

Doesn’t bode well for Chevy, or strange either way.

Also, just writing that backline out makes me sick. How the raiders score points this year is beyond me.

The next implication is the bench if Hoskings is carried as a utility. That realistically only leaves 2 other forwards for the rotation, noting raiders don’t have an 80min hooker. One will be papali, the other guelr id say.

Rd1 team to look like

Tapine
    Levi
    Mariota
    Whitehead
    Young
    Smithies
    Fog
    Weeks
    Timoko
    Schiller
    Savage
    Rapana

Woolford/starling
    Papali
    Guelr
    Hoskings
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:24 am

Definitely gonna be doing it tough with a 4-man backline Razz

I was thinking

1. Rapana
    2. Savage
    3. Schiller, replaced by Kris Rd 2
    4. Timoko
    5. Hoppa/Cotric

Didn't really sound like Weekes, Kris or Savage were in the conversation for FB. I didn't think Rapana's hammies would be up to it, so could be a bit of reshuffling the opening weeks.

I think I'm only interested in whoever gets 5/8. Ideally Strange as a starting CTR, but will take Weekes as a cashcow/backup WFB begrudgingly.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:28 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

I think there is too much value in the Raiders backs to also start with one of their forwards. Hosking might be an independently good choice but with Fogarty, Weekes, Strange, Cotric already a chance at my squad I think it's better to target the other value edges

I do like Hosking though, one of the few with keeper level upside in his price range

Levi was 1sr choice HOK for the raiders when he got signed, until he broke his jaw. A 289k starting HOK is value
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:36 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:cant pick a team of 5 bulldogs and 5 raiders - somebody help affraid

Conventional wisdom would suggest that because of the byes - you don't select too many players from the same team.

However, with the Bulldogs having a bye in Round 8 and the Raiders having a bye in Round 10 - there is a alternative world where you could drain the cash of some juicy cash cows before ditching them by this time. This is what im'ma going to do. Anyone else in?
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:37 am

WT Winfield wrote:Definitely gonna be doing it tough with a 4-man backline Razz

I was thinking

1. Rapana
    2. Savage
    3. Schiller, replaced by Kris Rd 2
    4. Timoko
    5. Hoppa/Cotric

Didn't really sound like Weekes, Kris or Savage were in the conversation for FB. I didn't think Rapana's hammies would be up to it, so could be a bit of reshuffling the opening weeks.

I think I'm only interested in whoever gets 5/8. Ideally Strange as a starting CTR, but will take Weekes as a cashcow/backup WFB begrudgingly.

Yeah my bad. Forgot about cotric, which is easy to Do because he is a plodder.

I reckon you’re right, plenty of changes in opening 10rds.

This is only what I’ve heard from someone close to club, with my added musings over the top.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:47 am

Rapana said last year he didn't really like playing fullback (then did it anyway at the end of the year)

But seems a waste for Canberra when they have some potentially good fullbacks around to just shove an aging winger in the position.
    GreenSchist
    GreenSchist

Post by GreenSchist Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:54 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

Conventional wisdom would suggest that because of the byes - you don't select too many players from the same team.

However, with the Bulldogs having a bye in Round 8 and the Raiders having a bye in Round 10 - there is a alternative world where you could drain the cash of some juicy cash cows before ditching them by this time. This is what im'ma going to do. Anyone else in?

For those two teams I'm not so focused on the byes, more the cashie potential.
    Currently have Hutch, Salmon, Hughes and Mohoney for the doggies and Levi, Weekes, Kris (and maybe Fogarty) for the Raiders.

I also don't like the look of my team as a result.
    GreenSchist
    GreenSchist

Post by GreenSchist Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:59 am

Fortitude wrote:

Yeah my bad. Forgot about cotric, which is easy to Do because he is a plodder.

I reckon you’re right, plenty of changes in opening 10rds.

This is only what I’ve heard from someone close to club, with my added musings over the top.

So assuming neither Chevy or Hopoate stake their claim at FB, and Rapana doesn't enjoy playing there, Ricky could very well chuck Kris into FB making him a trap and Schiller the Raiders cheapie everyones looking for.

Just a shame we'll never know until Rd 2 TLT.
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:06 am

GreenSchist wrote:

So assuming neither Chevy or Hopoate stake their claim at FB, and Rapana doesn't enjoy playing there, Ricky could very well chuck Kris into FB making him a trap and Schiller the Raiders cheapie everyones looking for.

On this, I reckon there is only one must-have from the Vegas games (Piakura), with possible arguments for Haas, B. Smith, or Schuster (I know he won't play until Round 2 - or perhaps longer)

I think i am just going to take Piakura from R1 Part 1 and have a proper Team List Tuesday the following week

If Piakura does not play, then maybe no-one
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:11 am

GreenSchist wrote:

Schiller? affraid He's not exactly high on Ricky's list based on how he's been used. Had more games as a garbage minute benchy and 18th man than starts. Not a particularly good scorer either. He topped the stats sheet in the trial off a 20m quick tap and length of the field try with Cini the only one alert to it. A real trials try if ever I've seen one.
    BCT05
    BCT05

Post by BCT05 Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:16 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

On this, I reckon there is only one must-have from the Vegas games (Piakura), with possible arguments for Haas, B. Smith, or Schuster (I know he won't play until Round 2 - or perhaps longer)

I think i am just going to take Piakura from R1 Part 1 and have a proper Team List Tuesday the following week

If Piakura does not play, then maybe no-one

Teddy?

At this stage I've got quite a lot.... Piakura, Haas, Cheese, Teddy, Tatola, Arthars, Brown, Burbo (those last three definitely subject to change but the first five have pretty much been in my team since I first threw it together).

I don't particularly like starting with Teddy, usually prefer going cheaper at WFB to start the season but the options seem super slim this year. Started with Meaney & CNK last year but can't see similar kind of options this time around.
    GreenSchist
    GreenSchist

Post by GreenSchist Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 am

WT Winfield wrote:

Schiller? affraid He's not exactly high on Ricky's list based on how he's been used. Had more games as a garbage minute benchy and 18th man than starts. Not a particularly good scorer either. He topped the stats sheet in the trial off a 20m quick tap and length of the field try with Cini the only one alert to it. A real trials try if ever I've seen one.

Haha I wouldn't expect it but that's exactly why I'm wary of it (and Ricky).
    You would have to think Ricky just plays Rapana at FB until he's ready to slot in Chevy, which probably relies on a string of losses and shaking things up.

I love the idea of starting with both Burbo and Kris, but it's also over-capitilising on a shit position if I already have Aitken and Penis as locks for CTR.

(I'm by no means convinced of Aitken's job security but if he is named starting EDG Rd 1, I think you have to take the gamble).

Last edited by GreenSchist on Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:28 am

BCT05 wrote:

Teddy?

At this stage I've got quite a lot.... Piakura, Haas, Cheese, Teddy, Tatola, Arthars, Brown, Burbo (those last three definitely subject to change but the first five have pretty much been in my team since I first threw it together).

I don't particularly like starting with Teddy, usually prefer going cheaper at WFB to start the season but the options seem super slim this year. Started with Meaney & CNK last year but can't see similar kind of options this time around.

I think Teddy would be nice to have but there are so many other WFBs in that price range that can do a equivalent job. There are also other PROPS that can score well and consistently with an upside that won't play origin.

I am starting with Hynes and no Cleary, with a view to doing a captain switch between R5 and R6 so I have a consistent million dollar half back
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:40 am

GreenSchist wrote:

Haha I wouldn't expect it but that's exactly why I'm wary of it (and Ricky).
    You would have to think Ricky just plays Rapana at FB until he's ready to slot in Chevy, which probably relies on a string of losses and shaking things up.

I love the idea of staring with both Burbo and Kris, but it's also over-capitilising on a shit position if I already have Aitken and Penis as locks for CTR.

Yeah Aitken and Penis with Strange or blegh Burbo (somehow back in my team again) as back-up should be pretty gun. Even if Aitken moved back to CTR, he's still pretty gun. Just covering that early bye with Burbo/Strange.. but if you've gotta play 16, losing a CTR for a week isn't the worst compromise to save a trade.

Not that I'm much of a FB judge (see: Sloan a couple of years ago), but Stewart seemed alright defensively. Had a few touches, but didn't really create anything. Had a minor cramp around the 49th min and Ricky starting mass subbing soon after, so didn't get to see if he was fine and ready to carve up some tired defence, as FBs often do late game.

I guess Hoppa gets his shot this week, and maybe Chevy gets a crack the last 20-30. Too much reshuffling potential has me wary of anyone really.

I'll definitely be back to eat my words about Schiller if he holds a spot and makes ~100k in a reasonable time though.. just can't see it.
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:51 am

THEGAME wrote:For the teams with Kini, who’s the WFB you have in the EME/INT you have for the round 2 buy ?

Dud and Dudder

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:14 am