NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 6 - The only time I make a thread this year

Shady2K
    Shady2K

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 6 - The only time I make a thread this year - Page 18 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 6 - The only time I make a thread this year

Post by Shady2K Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:55 pm

Nowhere nearer deciding on what to go with

*clear team*
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 6 - The only time I make a thread this year - Page 18 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2024 Part 6 - The only time I make a thread this year

Post by robelgordo Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:57 pm

SoylentGreen wrote:

Most underrated FB in the game.

Don't really think he's underrated now. There was outcry when he wasn't picked for Aus in 2022, people suggesting Teddy get dropped for Origin for him in 2023.

Think he's very good but also think everyone looks pretty good in the Panthers setup.

For fantasy will almost certainly average between 43 and 48.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:58 pm

King Assassin wrote:
    Rabbit wrote:Hearing Max Plath might slot in at lock for the Dolphins. Will get dual HB and Mid if so. Good player. Beefed up. Likes a tackle and can score tries. New contract extension until '26. I'm picking him. If he doesn't get named I've got $500k to spend next week.

That makes me want to hold off on tatola, and see if he gets picked. Wheres this info coming from mate? very intriguing.

Was posted on twitter earlier in the thread

repeated here for you

NoSpeakaAnyInglis
    NoSpeakaAnyInglis

Post by NoSpeakaAnyInglis Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:00 pm

WT Winfield wrote:

Hey mate, welcome cheer

Montoya's on my shortlist with Suli and Simonsson if I need to change from Xerri and Strange.

Bit of a prayer.. Career average of 27.5 on the wing and no early injury games. Just a handful of ~70 mins amongst all the 80 mins.

Most recent years averages at WG are: 30, 27 and 30 at Warriors. Not too pretty at Dogs either, probably like 25-26 at a glance combining all the seasons.

Just that he's one of the cheaper CTR/WFBs around and hoping RTS sets him up.. but I'll probably have to go with Suli and Simo (also has dual), unless it's the difference between Hopgood or no Hopgood.

Yeah I think I'm just getting a bit too hyped about seeing RTS back in business and thinking he could transform Montoya. Appreciate the voice of reason!

Funny you say that actually, because it does play a factor in Hopgood selection.

Its Hopgood, Fogarty and Simonsson VS Tohu, Moses and Montoya
    NoSpeakaAnyInglis
    NoSpeakaAnyInglis

Post by NoSpeakaAnyInglis Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:02 pm

Rabbit wrote:Hearing Max Plath might slot in at lock for the Dolphins. Will get dual HB and Mid if so. Good player. Beefed up. Likes a tackle and can score tries. New contract extension until '26. I'm picking him. If he doesn't get named I've got $500k to spend next week.

Intrigued! Seems like its going to have to be Plath or Smithies for me, won't take the punt on both. Higher upside?
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:06 pm

NoSpeakaAnyInglis wrote:

Yeah I think I'm just getting a bit too hyped about seeing RTS back in business and thinking he could transform Montoya. Appreciate the voice of reason!

Funny you say that actually, because it does play a factor in Hopgood selection.

Its Hopgood, Fogarty and Simonsson VS Tohu, Moses and Montoya

No worries mate. Montoya did well for me in Finals Fantasy last year (like 2 games haha), so that could be influencing me aswell as the RTS factor, which may not have an effect.

I like the Hop/Fog/Simmo combo and might end up with that myself. Really depends on how TLT2 goes, but none of those guys will lock this week, so have a bit of time to mull it over.
    King Assassin
    King Assassin

Post by King Assassin Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:14 pm

NoSpeakaAnyInglis wrote:

Intrigued! Seems like its going to have to be Plath or Smithies for me, won't take the punt on both. Higher upside?

Plath avg 42.5 in 47 mins off the bench 2 game sample size and a try in 1 of those. priced at 36 so if he gets the lock spot definitely worth a punt over a guy like Tatola. As for Smithies Super league stats arent amazing but NRL is a different game and we've seen Super league guys benefit stat wise in the NRL in the past. I'd say Plath the safer pick if he gets it in my opinion. Both could lose there spots to KBrom, Stone and Horse respectively.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:23 pm

Just some picks I've been contemplating

Turbo : Had Teddy in there for a fair while but Turbo having a full pre season has me intrigued (also saves a few $). Vegas probably not the best game for a big money FB given the field dimensions but he hasn't got any byes for a while if he can string some games together. Manly could also be a pretty decent attacking team this year if their forwards can get some go ahead...the backline looks pretty clever at full strength.

Boyd : Flip flopping on Fog or Boyd here as Hutch is a decent fringe first grader (big body, loves a tackle, can kick etc) but I wouldn't mind a solid 45-50 point player as a second half. Fog definitely has more upside but Boyd does add a bit of positional flexibility as it means you can probably ditch the Eels HKR as backup if Brad Arthurs our best laid plans up. Des could add something to the Tits. Bye sucks.

Liddle : @Little_Jimmy has me taking another look given new coach, stronger pack etc etc. I am not super sold on Lussick but if he gets picked you probably have to go with him. Also had another look at Verrills given Des' work with Croker.

Smithies : I'm buying into the theory that he maintains good minutes @ lock but probably means I have to downgrade #1 HKR or #2 HLF so risky play

Simonsson : Talked about him before, looks good at centre and should get the spot

Edit : FTR I am picking Burbo...my expectations are lowish (not the new Preston) but worth the risk IMO
    King Assassin
    King Assassin

Post by King Assassin Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:34 pm

I like Hopgood, but not knowing BA's plans with hooker role scares me. and if the bench make up doesn't suit Hopgood I've missed out on the other 2 guys I want instead in Murray and Haas.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:35 pm

My drafts have generally gone with Grant, and cheap halves as I don't want to rely on the cheap hookers. But thinking now I like the cheap halves less than the cheap hookers so might have to take a punt on one of the more middling hookers so I can get a decent half to pair with Cleary
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:38 pm

Shady2K wrote:Nowhere nearer deciding on what to go with

*clear team*

That’s the spirit glad to hear you’re joining me in the fun cheer
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:39 pm

NoSpeakaAnyInglis wrote:As with every year, struggling with the centre position so looking outside the box. I've seen him mentioned, but not really discussed...Montoya at $417k? Seems to be in that happy medium between base price option discomfort and high priced gun.

Kick return base is OK?
    Increased attacking potential outside RTS?
    Only 9 tries in 2023 for a quality team
    Dual CTR/WFB

Reasonable to expect improvement?
    Worst case scenario he averages 30, which is what hes priced at?

EDIT: If he was on SJs side he'd be straight into my team...do the wahs swing their attack toward RTS' left side a bit more this year?

RTS beasting in trials, the wing outside of him should be in a prime spot for the season. I have Montoya as a placeholder currently, likely end up with someone else though.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:47 pm

mickspicks wrote:Haven't seen much about Garner. Is he worth a shout? Or is the concern that Sorensen comes back and steals his spot? I've currently got him on the bench but feel I can probably use that money to beef up a centre spot instead.

Not unless you are planning to play NSW cup fantasy this year
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:51 pm

I have a feeling that there will be very few cheap guys worth having this season and lots of mid rangers with job security worth having.

Trying my best not to have to be wasting trades on the $250k guys with bad job security and / or poor scoring.

Instead I want to be spending my trades optimising the mid range value picks.

Currently have a team structure with just 5 < $300k guys, will look to be selective with them, 4 guns and lots of mid rangers to swap in the best new value mid rangers that appear, for those that don't perform so well. Currently locked in cheapies are Strange or Weekes, Hughes, Salmon if starting at lock. Looking to add another 2 pending team lists.

Looking at just having Brandon, Tupoinua, Wong, Piakura and Turbo this weekend, leaving lots of flexibility when the rest of the teams are announced next week for the other 16 players.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:51 pm

NoSpeakaAnyInglis wrote:As with every year, struggling with the centre position so looking outside the box. I've seen him mentioned, but not really discussed...Montoya at $417k? Seems to be in that happy medium between base price option discomfort and high priced gun.

Kick return base is OK?
    Increased attacking potential outside RTS?
    Only 9 tries in 2023 for a quality team
    Dual CTR/WFB

Reasonable to expect improvement?
    Worst case scenario he averages 30, which is what hes priced at?

EDIT: If he was on SJs side he'd be straight into my team...do the wahs swing their attack toward RTS' left side a bit more this year?

WT Winfield wrote:

Hey mate, welcome cheer

Montoya's on my shortlist with Suli and Simonsson if I need to change from Xerri and Strange.

Bit of a prayer.. Career average of 27.5 on the wing and no early injury games. Just a handful of ~70 mins amongst all the 80 mins.

Most recent years averages at WG are: 30, 27 and 30 at Warriors. Not too pretty at Dogs either, probably like 25-26 at a glance combining all the seasons.

Just that he's one of the cheaper CTR/WFBs around and hoping RTS sets him up.. but I'll probably have to go with Suli and Simo (also has dual), unless it's the difference between Hopgood or no Hopgood.

Basically treating him the way Coates was when he first signed in Melbourne. Hope for an early run of tries in a good team then jump off. The dual could be handy but it's a little more cash than I'd like to spend
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:53 pm

Contemplating running Grant/Cheese and leaving out Lussick. Cheese locks this weekend and having all 3 of them feels unnecessary. Gamble is that BA is full of shit (like he usually is) and Hands is on the bench

If Lussick does somehow get 80 minutes week 1 and then no Hands again in week 2 then can bring him in for a failed mid ranger?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:54 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    My drafts have generally gone with Grant, and cheap halves as I don't want to rely on the cheap hookers. But thinking now I like the cheap halves less than the cheap hookers so might have to take a punt on one of the more middling hookers so I can get a decent half to pair with Cleary

Friends of mine went halves in a cheap hooker, both weren't very happy after.
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:55 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Basically treating him the way Coates was when he first signed in Melbourne. Hope for an early run of tries in a good team then jump off. The dual could be handy but it's a little more cash than I'd like to spend

That's the Arthars logic too isn't it. Cheap starting CTR and pray he gets a few tries early, then jump off once things clear up
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:58 pm

robelgordo wrote:

Don't really think he's underrated now. There was outcry when he wasn't picked for Aus in 2022, people suggesting Teddy get dropped for Origin for him in 2023.

Think he's very good but also think everyone looks pretty good in the Panthers setup.

For fantasy will almost certainly average between 43 and 48.

Yeah agree with this. Claims he was overrated for so long he might be heading towards overrated. I'd have Teddy, Ponga, Turbo, Walsh and a fully fit Papy ahead of him. Probably RTS as well. Belongs in that 6-10 tier with the likes of Gutho
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:00 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:I really would like Penisini can’t fit him.

Have done multiple drafts today with one of  Grant, Ponga or Moses can very likely only have 1. There are pros and cons for all.

Trying to figure out which position has least value out of Hooker, Half or WFB and put that keeper there I think the answer is probs WFB but not fully sure.

Definitely the offseason,  can't believe no one put their mouth around this one !

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:06 am