NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20 - Page 45 Empty Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 pm

mattnz wrote:

I am trying to balance both getting good players that offer value with, where possible, not choosing the same players as the leaders. You don't need to catch every great opportunity to win, just enough of them.

I could go for Mbye and Alvaro, but the leaders have them, so need to find my own opportunities that have the opportunity to deliver similar value instead.

I think ignoring the impact of Origin and the byes is what the leaders will do and it will cost them a lot of points in that period, if they haven't planned correctly. It is where the game is won and lost most years.

Im with the last poster. It reads to me like you are placing too much emphasis on who the current top players have in their teams at present and perhaps even too much on Origin and Byes (although Im a big fan of planning for that, but I'll concede this years format probably means bye planning won't be as key as in the past). But re comparisons to the top players, I'd be surprised anyone in the top 10 right now end up in the top 10 at seasons end. So to be looking at these guys now as the ones to beat (and differentiate yourself from at perhaps the risk of a guy you consider to be great value) I reckon is a mistake. Its such a long season aye and there is so little separating even the top 1000 players right now when you look at how many points will be scored over the entire season of fantasy.

So, surely the philosophy right now for any team should simply be to pick the best guys out there first and foremost. That will depend on what overall strategy you are running (guns and cows vs value mid rangers etc) but ultimately it will be about maximising scoring with the $s you have available and balancing that with making however much money you require to get to your final 17 or 18 or 19 or what ever number you are aiming for. Next IMO there is the consideration of byes and Origin, and then a distant last is potential PODs (overall, not relative to the current leaders). So for example if you think Alvaro is the best value FRF around then grab him mate, forget that the leaders have him.

Lastly, I personally think two of the keys to winning this year will be (1) figuring out this new format, and what the best squad structure will be - I.e. will it be by taking a risk and having Cam, Friend, Macca, & Cook on the one team at the expense of positional cover? and (2) figuring out the how hard you need to trade early given how many CCs there are this season. Seems to me like there is a ton of money being made (compared to last year anyway) and I just wonder whether an aggressive trading strategy early might be key.

Thats just the way I see it anyway. Hopefully this doesn't read like Im having a dig at you, just offering my take on things for what its worth Smile
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20 - Page 45 Empty Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20

Post by standard-issue Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Random wrote:
    mattnz wrote:
    Random wrote:So I am bringing in JMK and Kennar this week.

Kennar is probably the best cost effective option in the CTRs while JMK is a cashcow who I think I am going to start over Cartwright.

Kennar needs tries to stay relevant. 4 tries in 3 weeks so far. Compare that with Isaako, no tries yet for similar scores.

Isaako was someone else I was weighing up. I didn't even notice that and he could also be a good shout. He is $50k cheaper as well.

Yeah, I missed Isaako, I'd take him over Kennar all things considered. Your mob a few outside backs down and he would be hard to drop regardless.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

I have no idea why you're looking at the "leaders" teams after Round three. Of this "top 7" you're trying to POD against maybe one will be in the top 100 come season's end.

Haha, ^^ this - you beat me to it with my long winded post Wink
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 pm

SI wrote:
    Random wrote:
    mattnz wrote:

Kennar is probably the best cost effective option in the CTRs while JMK is a cashcow who I think I am going to start over Cartwright.

Kennar needs tries to stay relevant. 4 tries in 3 weeks so far. Compare that with Isaako, no tries yet for similar scores.

Isaako was someone else I was weighing up. I didn't even notice that and he could also be a good shout. He is $50k cheaper as well.

Yeah, I missed Isaako, I'd take him over Kennar all things considered.  Your mob a few outside backs down and he would be hard to drop regardless.

Last week was bullshit, but he is the hero we needed and looked so collected.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 pm

mattnz wrote:

Yep, I fully expect to cop a 15 from Kennar soon.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Archer wrote:
    Don't you fucking dare put that evil on us. It pains me to say it but Papa should probably be next, unless he comes good this week.
    Don't you dare put that evil on us Ricky Bobby!! Classic  Laugh 3
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 pm

SI wrote:

BJ looked keen and creative I thought, good signs.
    Who doesn't love a keen and creative BJ.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

mattnz wrote:Titans are one of 4 teams that I am backing other sides to be scoring well against, so I think there is merit in the idea. The others are Knights, Eels, Raiders. All seem to leak points like a sieve.

Personally I am shying away from trying to pick top scoring halves though and trying to guide my team towards consistent points every week. The main thing that has killed my chances of leading overall are the 2-3 scores under 30 each week. Resolving that is my priority, by getting players that will be sure to get 40+ each week, while getting rid of those that can get <30 where I can, then 900+ scores are possible each week.

You have the same goals as everyone else mate. Whatever strategy you come up with, you will get players scoring less than 30 points regularly. When you get 5 or 6 one week through no fault of your own, maybe you’ll stop telling us your rank. It’s week three champ. Just saying.
    pm888
    pm888

Post by pm888 Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:07 pm

how do we see arrows minutes now he is named at lock? cant figure out what the titans plans are. my guess is arrow 60, mathews 50 carty 30 on the same edge. which means rein and peats on the field at the same time for 20 mins. 

of course i could be wrong and one of arrow or mathews gets 80.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Moose wrote:
    SI wrote:

BJ looked keen and creative I thought, good signs.
    Who doesn't love a keen and creative BJ.

2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20 - Page 45 Cartman-wall6800x600
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Rabbit wrote:

You have the same goals as everyone else mate. Whatever strategy you come up with, you will get players scoring less than 30 points regularly. When you get 5 or 6 one week through no fault of your own, maybe you’ll stop telling us your rank. It’s week three champ. Just saying.

Hey mate, remind me what your highest finishing rank was. I recall last year you said something along the lines of I had to beat your rank before you'd start listening to me Wink At the time I took it as a challenge but now I forgot what rank Im trying to beat!

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Archer or others, do you guys have a sense of how/if the changes to the Radiers side will affect Havili's minutes? Cheers.
    Stinkbug
    Stinkbug

Post by Stinkbug Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 pm

so at the risk of getting smited down, what are thoughts on this trade:
    smith to cook,
    cartwright to dce.

not really concerned/panicking about smith but feel like get same value out of cook and allows me to bring in gun half. likewise with cartwright, he's probably got a few more dollars to earn but rather get dce in sooner than later.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Stinkbug wrote:so at the risk of getting smited down, what are thoughts on this trade:
    smith to cook,
    cartwright to dce.

not really concerned/panicking about smith but feel like get same value out of cook and allows me to bring in gun half. likewise with cartwright, he's probably got a few more dollars to earn but rather get dce in sooner than later.
    Can you get Cook in without sacrificing CS9?

Cook is an absolute must have, probably has another $200,000 to make, not that you would trade him out mind
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Appreciate the advice all.

I intend to be looking at the leaders throughout the season, to see what it takes to overhaul them. Definitely not going to do something silly just to avoid similar players, but I do see it as a valid strategy to differentiate your team from those ahead of you, to offer the best chance of catching up to them quickly.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Chewie wrote:

Click the search option up the top... then click advanced search and fill in the details to narrow down your search results

Oh fuck that. Can’t you geniuses sort out a quick ‘last post’ link?

If not, fuck off out of the way, save everyone the heart ache and make me a mod immediately.

I’ll have this sorted in no time, plus get rid of some of the riffs raff around here as well:
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Stinkbug wrote:so at the risk of getting smited down, what are thoughts on this trade:
    smith to cook,
    cartwright to dce.

I like it, get 2 guns for the price of 1, and going to 2 that play round 13 (Origin teams pending).

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Random wrote:

Not sure if you got this answered, but if you click 2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20 - Page 45 2f67ddd8af71f3568439a3b3cbe97e5c this takes you to the last post you read.

I’ve tried that. I’ll give it another run.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Rabbit wrote:
    Chewie wrote:

Click the search option up the top... then click advanced search and fill in the details to narrow down your search results

Oh fuck that. Can’t you geniuses sort out a quick ‘last post’ link?

If not, fuck off out of the way, save everyone the heart ache and make me a mod immediately.

I’ll have this sorted in no time, plus get rid of some of the riffs raff around here as well:

2018 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 20 - Page 45 QI93CPC
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Rabbit wrote:

To become a mod you need to PM @Random multiple dick pics.

How else do you think @Mulvy and @filthridden became mods?

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm